PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Help with another switch to linux!

alejobar
March 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Hi there, I just got another friend to switch to linux, this is the fourth one already :P, I'm installing Xubuntu in her desktop, it's a HP with a 2.16 celeron, integrated intel 82845g 8mb video card and 256mb of RAM. I choose Xubuntu because Ubuntu will only run if I use the safe graphics mode option to use the live cd and after installed I don't know how to run in safe graphics mode, so after the splash I just got a blank screen or the orange background. Xubuntu in the other hand was able to run and I can see the login screen, but sometimes when I turn on the computer or restart I have the same problem, the blank screen after the splash and in order to boot again I need to go in to restore mode and fix X then I can boot again normaly. What could be the reason of this problem?, I thought it was a video card problem but after reading a lot I found a thread that said that the best driver to use was Xserver-xorg-intel and looking in synaptic that's the one I have installed. So I'm lost now :confused: I have no idea what can be causing this problems and how can I trouble shoot them :( any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I look at the xorgconfig file and its empty, theres no info of my card or screen

alejobar
March 28th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Bump