PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] updating from 7.04 (still possible?)

theKovenant
March 27th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Hi there guys!

well... i'm a real n00b about linux and else and.. well. i'm trying to start with it now and leave windows behind (at least in my notebook) but, i'm having some issues installing any version above 7.10 ....

everytime i try to install it by CD or Pendrive my nb freezes after the boot screen or with acpi=off it freezes while partitioning harddisk... the only version i can install without errors is the 7.04 ... (it also happened with other debian-based distros)... anyway ...

in the past it always worked when i tried to install Ubuntu 7.04 and then update to Ubuntu 7.10, so, i was trying to do the same now but it failed to update... can't find the 7.10 files in the servers anymore (i think it isn't supported anymore) so, i can't (web)update to 8 and else... i tried to do a clean 8.10 install by CD but it still crashing after the boot screen...

i tried to install it by a pendrive but it isn't mounting it anymore (dunno why... it was working perfectly and it still working at Windows - it also stopped working in Mandriva Live... already tried to format but nothing)... i already tried to update with "8.10 Alternate CD" in my pendrive (i'm out of blank CD's right now) but well.. it isn't mounting anymore i can't get my nb's cardreader's to work... so... i got no other options right now beside update it from web... so.. i my question is...

is there still any way to update from U7.04 to U8.10 from web? .. or anyone out there have any idea of how to solve these issues i'm having?..

btw my NB is a Positivo L58 Sim+ ... but in fact this is a Clevo M540SS

yeats
March 27th, 2009, 12:02 PM
What are the specs on that machine? (Memory, Hard drive, processor)

As far as I know, there is not a way to upgrade directly from 7.04 to 8.04/8.10, so you'll need to re-install.

Sef
March 27th, 2009, 12:06 PM
As far as I know, there is not a way to upgrade directly from 7.04 to 8.04/8.10, so you'll need to re-install.

That is correct. Reinstall is the only way since 7.04 no longer is supported.