PDA

View Full Version : Spreading the word of Linux

blazemore
March 27th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Often people at school will come up and ask me about my laptop, which runs Ubuntu.

I'm getting a bit sick of having to explain every time.
Is there a leaflet or something I can print out to help explain to people what I'm using, and distribute with my Ubuntu distro (It's identical to base, but with ubuntu-restricted-extras installed, and accesibility removed).

Metallion
March 27th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Why not just say "It's Linux."? Most people will have their curiousity satisfied by that.

If you want to spread the OS you can just direct the interested guys to the ubuntu webpage and forums.

Paqman
March 27th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I'm getting a bit sick of having to explain every time.

Keep going! They're far better off talking to you than reading a leaflet. Person-to-person is the best way of dispelling people's misconceptions about linux.

blazemore
March 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I actually recommend Linux Mint to most people, since I feel it offers the best OOTB experience to new users.

The main, and only real issue is the restricted codecs. If Flash, Java and mp3 don't work, who's going to want to use it? We live in the real world, not a theoretical universe based around Free Software principles.

Arkenzor
March 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM
But they do work. If you're worried your friends will give up before trying to install them then just give them a text file or something with instructions on how to do basic stuff in their new environment.

JackieChan
March 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Just simply say "It's Linux." and link them to the Ubuntu site so they can learn about what you're using. If I were you, I would probably recommend Mint to them though, it's better for new users.

blazemore
March 27th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Just simply say "It's Linux." and link them to the Ubuntu site so they can learn about what you're using. If I were you, I would probably recommend Mint to them though, it's better for new users.

I already do. I think Ubuntu could learn a lot from Mint.

pbpersson
March 27th, 2009, 05:01 PM

I think that Ubuntu does not have the restricted extras by default for two reasons:

1. Some people only want to use open source and do not want to touch anything proprietary
2. There is some legal mumbo-jumbo nonsense behind this as well

LowSky
March 27th, 2009, 05:02 PM

The only thing Ubuntu can learn fomr Mint is making a better looking splash screen

Otherwise, it comes down to legality.

simply put Automatically including DVD, MP3, and other codec supports is not very legal in places like the US. Here you need to technically pay for them. for instance the Dell version of Ubuntu includes these things but its because they pay the license fees for the user (well the consumer really pays i the end).

Mint's inclusion of these codecs, is actually quite illegal in the US, sure it give simplicity to the user, but at the cost that at anytime some company that owns the patent to any of the preinstalled codecs could really ruin Mint's developer(s) by issuing cease and disist orders or even sue for damages, and the way these cases often go, Mint would cese to exist and its people out of work.

pbpersson
March 27th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Mint's inclusion of these codecs, is actually quite illegal in the US, sure it give simplicity to the user, but at the cost that at anytime some company that owns the patent to any of the preinstalled codecs could really ruin Mint's developer(s) by issuing cease and disist orders or even sue for damages, and the way these cases often go, Mint would cese to exist and its people out of work.

Is someone working on open source codecs to do away with this problem?

HermanAB
March 27th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Fortunately, the USA and its legal issues is only a small (and shrinking) part of the world. So I second Linux Mint. It is great for new users.

For myself, I use anything from Solaris to BSD to Linux - whatever makes the thing tick. My least used Linux is actually Ubuntu, well, except for Suse, that would be my best avoided Linux. :)

mikewhatever
March 27th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I actually recommend Linux Mint to most people, since I feel it offers the best OOTB experience to new users.

The main, and only real issue is the restricted codecs. If Flash, Java and mp3 don't work, who's going to want to use it? We live in the real world, not a theoretical universe based around Free Software principles.

When I bought an HP notebook a couple of years back, with Windows XP provided by the OEM, none of the things you mentioned were installed. It's odd, but I didn't see people complaining about having to get codecs, flash etc on Windows. I think in the real world, we should be able to install whatever we need, and not what others think we do.

LowSky
March 27th, 2009, 06:24 PM

there are open source alternatives, like mp3 has ogg, but what I failed to mention before is that even Microsoft doesn't include Java, Flash, mp3 support, or dvd support natively, you need to download or buy codec for that too, directly or indirectly.

But no one supports opensource codec like ogg ( for instance an iPod doesn't support Ogg), even Microsoft uses it own form of Java, and OpenGL is like a forgoten step-child compared to MS's DirectX. Open source is great but because Large Companies like Microsoft and Apple use proprietary formats, it hurts any idea of standardization. for instance look at a web page using Firefox, thenuse Internet Exporer, you might get different results. Same goes with MS Word and OpenOffice Writer, even with standardized formats the same document will look different

pbpersson
March 27th, 2009, 06:25 PM
When I bought an HP notebook a couple of years back, with Windows XP provided by the OEM, none of the things you mentioned were installed. It's odd, but I didn't see people complaining about having to get codecs, flash etc on Windows. I think in the real world, we should be able to install whatever we need, and not what others think we do.

I am certain this all comes down to laws. Someone OWNS the flash standard and someone OWNS the MP3 standard and the codecs are LICENSED and therefore you cannot just legally include them.

By the same token - when you are in a restaurant here in the United States, the restaurant staff is not allowed to sing the actual "Happy Birthday" song because it is OWNED by someone and they would have to pay royalties to that individual or company. I know it sounds strange, but that is what someone told me.

Simian Man
March 27th, 2009, 06:38 PM

The codecs *are* open source that is not the problem. The problem is that formats themselves are patented and using any implementation of the format is illegal.

I always take the time to explain what Linux is to people - as much as they ask. Almost everyone who asks, however, I feel wouldn't like it so I never tell them how to get it.

KCG102282
March 27th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Which codecs are you talking about?

Bart_D
March 27th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Which codecs are you talking about?

The codecs that come pre-installed with Linux Mint(Regular/Standard Edition).

...when you are in a restaurant here in the United States, the restaurant staff is not allowed to sing the actual "Happy Birthday" song because it is OWNED by someone and they would have to pay royalties to that individual or company.....

Really??? That is very strange indeed!!!

KCG102282
March 27th, 2009, 06:48 PM
The codecs that come pre-installed with Linux Mint(Regular/Standard Edition

Which are? I never used Mint just seems like a ubuntu nock off to me.

sydbat
March 27th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Fortunately, the USA and its legal issues is only a small (and shrinking) part of the world. So I second Linux Mint. It is great for new users.Absolutely correct.

Oh, and I bookmarked your website! Very cool.

wolfen69
March 27th, 2009, 07:01 PM
The main, and only real issue is the restricted codecs. If Flash, Java and mp3 don't work, who's going to want to use it?

guess what? a windows disk also does not come with codecs, except for windows media files.

i would give them a copy of Kiwi Linux (http://kiwilinux.org/en/) instead of mint. kiwi is straight up ubuntu with all codecs and flash preinstalled. even the theme is the same as regular ubuntu.

wolfen69
March 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Almost everyone who asks, however, I feel wouldn't like it so I never tell them how to get it.

if everyone had your attitude, there would be a lot less linux users out there. thank god this is not the case.

pbpersson
March 27th, 2009, 07:10 PM
The codecs *are* open source that is not the problem. The problem is that formats themselves are patented and using any implementation of the format is illegal.

That is exactly what I was afraid of but I figured that was the answer.

Simian Man
March 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
i would give them a copy of Kiwi Linux (http://kiwilinux.org/en/) instead of mint. kiwi is straight up ubuntu with all codecs and flash preinstalled. even the theme is the same as regular ubuntu.

That's actually pretty brilliant. Ubuntu can't be sued because they don't distribute illegal software. Kiwi won't be sued because they aren't even close to big enough of a target to be worth it. Sounds like a good solution to me.

if everyone had your attitude, there would be a lot less linux users out there. thank god this is not the case.
My friends and relatives are either not tech savy enough to care about their OS or are locked into Windows software. You kind of have to *want* Linux to make it worth it.

bakedbeans4life
March 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM

Simian Man does have a point, even if he did come across as a little blunt.

The truth is that most people want Windows, it is what they know and feel comfortable with. They scream about the BSOD or that Windows Defender missed another malware install, UAC sucks etc the list goes on. But few ever blame Microsoft simply because they believe this is how computers are supposed to be.

For most people Linux will perform their everyday tasks without the need for WINE or virtual machines. Alas this does not matter, what matters is that is not Windows.

Linux is superior to Windows in just about every way (note I did not say all), but familiarity and inertia are just too large an obstacle to overcome. Those that want to will find Linux, those that need it most will fight you tooth and claw to remain with Windows.

I just gave up, it's not worth the effort. I no longer volunteer to be the go-to-guy to sort out your Windows problems either.