PDA

View Full Version : My Laptop Fan is Driving me Mad!

ghindo
March 27th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Recently, my laptop's fan has been making a grinding noise. I've tried checking the fan for obstructions, and even disassembling my laptop to see if I could find anything that was causing the noise. I haven't been able to find anything, and it's beginning to drive me insane. :evil:

Anybody got any troubleshooting tips? Or should I just contact the manufacturer?

hewbert
March 27th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Recently, my laptop's fan has been making a grinding noise. I've tried checking the fan for obstructions, and even disassembling my laptop to see if I could find anything that was causing the noise. I haven't been able to find anything, and it's beginning to drive me insane. :evil:

Anybody got any troubleshooting tips? Or should I just contact the manufacturer?

Sounds like the bearings if there's nothing in the way of the blades.

blackened
March 27th, 2009, 07:18 AM

This really belongs in the hardware forum.

Since you've already taken the plunge of pulling the machine apart, you could check if the fan's bearing is field-serviceable. It should have a rubber plug, a sticker, or a piece of tape that you can remove to oil the bearing with a tiny bit of sewing oil. Don't overdo it though. A little often goes a long way.

Worst case scenario, the bearing is too far gone for lubing to help or is not field-serviceable. Either would require you to replace the fan leaving you no worse off than you are now.

mips
March 27th, 2009, 01:55 PM
since you've already taken the plunge of pulling the machine apart, you could check if the fan's bearing is field-serviceable. It should have a rubber plug, a sticker, or a piece of tape that you can remove to oil the bearing with a tiny bit of sewing oil. Don't overdo it though. A little often goes a long way.

Worst case scenario, the bearing is too far gone for lubing to help or is not field-serviceable. Either would require you to replace the fan leaving you no worse off than you are now.

+1