PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mplayer :[AO_ALSA]unable to find simple control 'PCM',0

plutov03
March 27th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I've just installed mplayer from add/remove and it's doesn't work well.
[AO_ALSA]unable to find simple control 'PCM',0 ,always appears when i tried to player any multimedia file.I googled myself and couldn't solve it.
Please help me!

andrew.46
March 27th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Hi plutov03,

[AO_ALSA]unable to find simple control 'PCM',0 ,always appears when i tried to player any multimedia file.I googled myself and couldn't solve it.
Please help me!

Can I ask you to run the following in a Terminal window and then post the full output here?

mplayer -ao help

I suspect that there is a problem with your use of alsa and MPlayer, this can be rectified by using a different audio out.

Andrew

binbash
March 27th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I have same error at ubuntu jaunty.

MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.3.3 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60GHz (Family: 6, Model: 15, Stepping: 13)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
Available audio output drivers:
oss OSS/ioctl audio output
alsa ALSA-0.9.x-1.x audio output
esd EsounD audio output
pulse PulseAudio audio output
jack JACK audio output
nas NAS audio output
sdl SDLlib audio output
openal OpenAL audio output
mpegpes DVB audio output
v4l2 V4L2 MPEG Audio Decoder output
null Null audio output
pcm RAW PCM/WAVE file writer audio output

This codecs.conf is too old and incompatible with this MPlayer release! at line 6

andrew.46
March 27th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Hi binbash,

MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.3.3 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team

There must be a certain uncomfortable feeling for the Ubuntu developers to push out such an old version of MPlayer as an official part of a brand new release. But this is an old problem that would probably not benefit from another airing I guess.

Available audio output drivers:
oss OSS/ioctl audio output
alsa ALSA-0.9.x-1.x audio output
esd EsounD audio output
pulse PulseAudio audio output
jack JACK audio output
nas NAS audio output
sdl SDLlib audio output
openal OpenAL audio output
mpegpes DVB audio output
v4l2 V4L2 MPEG Audio Decoder output
null Null audio output
pcm RAW PCM/WAVE file writer audio output

This is your list of available audio drivers. If alsa is off the menu for whatever reason try to open a video file with the following syntax which forces another driver:

mplayer -ao pulse myfile.avi

where -ao is forcing the audio out(put), next to try would be oss. The million dollar question would be 'why is alsa failing'? And this one I am not sure about.

My own copy of MPlayer under Jaunty does not have this problem, as the attached screenshot demonstrates but I have compiled my own from svn.

Andrew

binbash
March 27th, 2009, 12:34 PM
pulse plays fine at command line but when you use a gui (mplayer's gui or gnome-mplayer etc) when you select pulse as output it does not play and gives an error about the pulse.I am quite sure this is because of old mplayer

Anyways i am pulling svn build of mplayer and compile it with CoreAVC

andrew.46
March 27th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hi binbash,

pulse plays fine at command line but when you use a gui (mplayer's gui or gnome-mplayer etc) when you select pulse as output it does not play and gives an error about the pulse.I am quite sure this is because of old mplayer

Could very well be. I personally use rvm's SMPlayer for an MPlayer frontend and it is definitely worth a try.

Anyways i am pulling svn build of mplayer and compile it with CoreAVC

All the best with this. These forums seem to be awash with MPlayer guides at the moment: straight svn, vdpau, coreAVC and FFmpeg-MT. Quite exciting times with MPlayer at the moment on Ubuntu. I used the straight svn guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1081070) for my own copy :-).

Edit: BTW I have been reading through your excellent blog, nicely done!! And I see you have your own info for coreavc (http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/02/howto-mplayer-with-coreavc-better-hd.html). Do you need to specify: --enable-alsa --enable-pulse ? Normally doing this can get you into a little trouble.

Andrew

rvm4000
March 28th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Please help me!

Try adding this option: -mixer-channel Master

That would tell mplayer to use the Master control instead of PCM to control the volume.

binbash
March 28th, 2009, 11:42 AM
@andrew.46

If you don't do that, you can't use pulse etc support.I tried without pulse (--enable-pulse ) and i didn't get pulse support installed.I only wrote what i have tried there so be sure i tried without --enable-pulse etc : ) .

andrew.46
March 28th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Hi binbash,

If you don't do that, you can't use pulse etc support.I tried without pulse (--enable-pulse ) and i didn't get pulse support installed.I only wrote what i have tried there so be sure i tried without --enable-pulse etc : ) .

I hope you don't think I was picking on your blog, in fact I have enjoyed reading it immensely!

Oddly enough I have managed to get -ao pulse working without specifying it in ./configure and adding paths to header files (as is usually required). Granted it is not the most up-to-date version of Jaunty, I am running it in VirtualBox and there is an odd message about problems with pause but it works well enough. I attach a screenshot of the action :-).

Andrew

Hellaxe
August 11th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Hello people:
any news about how to use Mplayer and Alsa?
I've (finally) upgraded to Jaunty and this issue is anoying,
OSS is doing the job but I'd preferred ALSA.
Thanks for your answers.

GrFD
May 5th, 2010, 11:36 AM
andrew.46, Thanks for your tips about [CODE]mplayer -ao help[/CODE.
I've been sure my Linux should use ALSA, but it was OSS. After I've set OSS in mplayer (and also in VLC-player), I can just normally look and listen movies with sound and without any stupid alarm.
Thanks a lot of!

voltsy
October 23rd, 2011, 04:42 AM
For reasons that might be conmpletely different, I was getting exactly the same message from mplayer when launched by playing media files (in Gnome) using the "Open with..." method of selecting mplayer.

On my eeepc 701SD running Lucid 10.04 (netbook version) the fix was to edit ~/.mplayer/gui.conf and change ao = "alsa" to ao = "pulse"

Strangely, putting ao="pulse" in ~/.mplayer/config had no effect at all

mplayer version:
MPlayer SVN-r1.0~rc3+svn20090426-4.4.3 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team via medibuntu repository