PDA

View Full Version : compared to console gaming...

briancurtin
December 31st, 2005, 08:55 PM
what, if any advantage, does running a windows game through wine or cedega give you?

i see none at all, but then again, i would survive if every game ever made for any computer disappeared. can someone let me in on why this is such a huge deal?

Virak
December 31st, 2005, 09:14 PM
Not all Windows games are available on consoles, some may be more suited for a keyboard and mouse than a control pad, the console version may lack some important features of the Windows version, and if you've already got the Windows version, it's a lot cheaper to run it under Wine than buy the console version (and possibly the console too, if you don't already own it!). But other than that, yes, it'd generally be better to go with the console version.

prizrak
December 31st, 2005, 09:35 PM
Just about any strategy game is not gonna be on consoles, FPS is better on kbd/mizzaouse as well (but I suppose that's more or less preference)

xequence
December 31st, 2005, 09:48 PM
PC games are better because:

- You dont have to pay for them
- Free online play (most games)
- Mouselook for FPS games
- You can add extra things like maps and stuff
- Not restricted to TV resolution

Console games are better because

- The console itself is cheaper
- Easier to take a PS2 to your friends house and set it up then a computer

ATAQ
December 31st, 2005, 10:31 PM
PC Games always change, On a console you buy one game and thats it.
On pc adding maps and mods always keeps the game new.
Also I think the graphics are usually better on pc games, well that depends how much yo yo's you throw in, into building your pc!

;)

chimera
December 31st, 2005, 10:58 PM
There are no open-source games for consoles...but then again, most open-source games have a Linux build as well so you don't need wine/cedega.
I like gaming, but since I uninstalled windows I only play games developed for Linux or ported to Linux (I don't and won't use wine/cedega)

AndyW
January 1st, 2006, 12:42 AM
There are no open-source games for consoles...
Not entirely true. Infact there are many opensource games for the xbox, problem is that you need a modded xbox. Which I have :rolleyes: