PDA

View Full Version : slitaz and apt

jacob01
March 27th, 2009, 12:29 AM
i was wondering if it would be possible to install apt onto slitaz. it has tazpkg and dpkg but im alot more familiar with apt.

sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread.

dragos240
March 27th, 2009, 12:41 AM
if it's not debian based, then it can't have apt, although, if debian provides source, perhaps.

Twitch6000
March 27th, 2009, 12:56 AM
if it's not debian based, then it can't have apt, although, if debian provides source, perhaps.

incorrect... PClinuxOS is not debian based yet it has apt-get.

@op it is probably possible through some tweaking.

cardinals_fan
March 27th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I have a few thoughts on this matter. It has been discussed on the SliTaz Forums, so you can look over there for more perspectives.

SliTaz isn't descended from Debian and is not designed to use APT. This was by choice. Debian packaging is really quite clumsy compared to SliTaz (I mean no offense, but I have yet to see anything comparable to Tazwok for any distro). The tools included in SliTaz are made to do the best job possible with the resources available.

Familiarity is always comforting, but it isn't necessarily good. I would certainly have been more familiar if I had just kept using Windows 95 (my first OS), but I also would have missed out on a great many evolutions and changes. With all of that said, it may be possible to install APT with dpkg. I have successfully installed RPM (the original and long since discontinued package manager, not the format) on SliTaz in the past, and it might be possible with APT too. However, I don't recommend it. The distro just isn't meant to be run with Debian packages. But it's up to you to decide.

init1
March 27th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Fedora has apt, and it's not Debian based. I'm sure it would be possible to port apt to SliTaz, but I don't really see the need to. Instead of typing

apt-get install

you type

tazpkg get-install

snowpine
March 27th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I agree with the above; SliTaz has tazpkg, which is a fantastic package manager. Well worth the effort to learn. :)

smartboyathome
March 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM
SliTaz can use apt, but you won't be able to install many packages, use any repos, etc with it, as it won't have all the packages available, nor in all the right positions.

jacob01
March 27th, 2009, 09:06 PM
yeah that was why i was trying to get apt because i thought i would have a more up to date repository with more packages.

edit i was unable to find the correct package

init1
March 27th, 2009, 10:08 PM
yeah that was why i was trying to get apt because i thought i would have a more up to date repository with more packages.

edit i was unable to find the correct package
Yeah, Slitaz doesnt have th best repos, but you can still compile from source

jacob01
March 27th, 2009, 10:47 PM

yeah

cardinals_fan
March 28th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Post a request in the Requests subforum. Many of the packages in the repos are the result of requests.