PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update Manager loses internet connection

jlo555
March 27th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I don't know if this is the right category for this but I don't know where else to put in:

I just got done installing Ubuntu 8.10 and the problem I'm having is that it needs 250mb of updates, but they won't seem to download. I start update manager, it downloads 1 out of the 280 updates it needs at about 150kb/s, then plummets to 2kb/s, then sort of drops off from there.

Simultaneously, I tried downloading a file using firefox and it flew by at 700kb/s with no problem.

I have also experienced this update problem with other programs: I tried Rythembox to play an MP3, it said it needed a codec, I said OK and it starts downloading and slows to a standstill once again.

I checked if it was set to use a proxy connection and it's not, so it must be something else...

Any ideas??? Any help would be much appreciated, I haven't used Linux in 5 years, so try to keep it simplified please!

Partyboi2
March 27th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Open up Software Sources (System>Admin>Software Sources) and change the download from server to another location and see if you get a faster download speed.

jlo555
March 27th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Wow, thanks, it downloaded at like 1.5mb/s that's impressive!

-John

Rohan Kapoor
March 27th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Yeah sometimes the main mirrors are under a lot of stress.