PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] format in mac

willfriedwald
March 26th, 2009, 09:26 PM
is there any way I can use Gparted (in Ubuntu) to initialize a new drive in the MAC format? Am copying a bunch of music from a Linux machine a drive to be used on a Mac system machine.

Any clues?

thanks!

Willfriedwald

Pumalite
March 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM
You can use it. Make the format vfat (Fat32)

willfriedwald
March 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM
right! thank you.

I know the Mac CAN read FAT32, but is there anyway to format it (via ubuntu) into the Mac format?

I know the Mac can read the DOS format, but since this drive is going to be a permanent addition to the Mac, I would prefer to initialize into Mac format - if it can be done on the linux platform...

failing that, I will just format it on the MAC, then move it to the linux, hopefully the linux will be able to copy to it (I sometimes have pesky problems with permissions) and fill it on the linux, then move it back to the mac...

thanks!

W

damis648
March 26th, 2009, 09:47 PM
The Mac filesystem is HFS+. The current set of HFS+ tools in ubuntu doesn't allow for creation of HFS+ partitions. You will have to do it on a Mac. Just use disk utility, and format as 'Mac OS Extended'. (Do NOT use journaled, as Ubuntu cannot write to journaled HFS+).

willfriedwald
March 26th, 2009, 09:54 PM
no JOURNALED? well THAT'S good to know- that's probably what's been screwing me up all this time!

thanks!

w

NiN
March 26th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't recommend using hfs+ in combination with linux. Tried it myself and ended up with strange problems (linux detecting the drive as faulty and mounting readonly) after a few weeks without proper ways to fix it. You can use macfuse (http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/) on your mac to access windows NTFS drives and the linux utilities are also way more advanced for that filesystem. (in contrast to hfs+) and at least it does not have the annoying limitations of fat32.

lalawawa
March 28th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I was able to format a disk as FAT32 on linux, but can't figure out how to mount it. "mount -t fat ..." and "mount -t vfat ..." don't work.

lalawawa
March 28th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I should add that I'm trying to do the same thing that willfriedwald is trying to do, except I don't have the Mac yet, I am evaluating the feasibility of getting a Mac. So I would like to format a Mac-readable drive and copy my music to it.

afrodeity
April 7th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Are you sure this isn't simply a legal issue? The HFSPlus section of the Gentoo Wiki (dd if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=/dev/hdb2 bs=512 skip=63) was deleted, apparently because Apple threatened to sue or something? Although this could just be a rumour, I wouldn't put it past Apple to do something like this. Which is really dumb, because a lot of Mac users are duel booting with Ubuntu.