PDA

View Full Version : How much is Linux worth?

heminder
March 26th, 2009, 09:20 PM
hey all, i'm kinda new here.
sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

i read an article on a website somewhere about estimating the cost of a linux distrubution. it estimated and compared the Debian project's cost of development and compared it to some NASA on-goings. it also compared the lines of code in Debian and one of the Windows-ish systems.

i'm trying to find this article again, but i can't seem to locate it anywhere (yeah, i'm wishing i bookmarked it). it's not the one from the Linux Foundation, as i remember it having several graphs and charts. it'd be great if anyone who has the article to post a link to it.

i remember getting to it by clicking around a bit. i've tried loads of different Google searches, but to no avail.

Firestem4
March 26th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Here is one good article that should answer all of your questions.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/publications/estimatinglinux.php

ubuntu27
March 26th, 2009, 11:02 PM

Nice website. I have bookmarked it.
From now on, every time someone says that Linux can not surpass windows because Windows development cost $$$, I will provide that URL.

:)

Twitch6000
March 26th, 2009, 11:08 PM

Yet the OP said not the linuxfoundation article....

Wow do you even read what others say??

Claus7
March 26th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Hello,

you can look at your history and see if you can find there the site you are mentioning... If you remember some key words this might be easier.

Regards!

alex2399
March 27th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Yet the OP said not the linuxfoundation article....

Wow do you even read what others say??

Uhmm, maybe it slipped his mind, but the site linked to by him says [citation] "In 2002, David A. Wheeler published a well-regarded study that examined the Software Lines of Code present in a typical Linux distribution (Red Hat Linux 7.1)3. He concluded—as we did—that Software Lines of Code is the most practical method to determine open source software value since it focuses on the end result and not on per-company or per-developer estimates.4 Using the industry standard tools he developed to count and analyze SLOC, he determined that it would cost over $1.2 billion to develop a Linux distribution by conventional proprietary means in the U.S. ".

So the OP is probably looking for an article from David A. Wheeler from 2002. So his contribution probably was not so useless after all ;)
Which wasn't useless or superfluous to my liking, since its an interesting read.

Daveski
March 27th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Linux is worth nothing, and everything.
Estimating the cost IF the system were developed by paid-for developers is interesting, but I cannot see what relevance or worth this information would have in any situation.

wolfen69
March 27th, 2009, 01:54 AM
linux is worth $0. the amount i paid for it.

Firestem4
March 27th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Uhmm, maybe it slipped his mind, but the site linked to by him says...

Which it did. Sorry.

You don't have to be so contemptible about it Twitch.