PDA

View Full Version : Computing Ideas That Average Users Thought Of Before You

tdrusk
March 26th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I am leaving the topic to be very open, as I am sure there are a ton of good ideas out there from the average computer user.

The other day I was at my friends house. I was observing her Firefox when I witnessed a simple, yet pretty productive and conservative idea. She had all of her bookmarks in the bookmark bar, but she didn't use text next to them.

http://i44.tinypic.com/20qgl7o.png

I never thought of this because, well honestly, I never really cared about my bookmarks. It makes sense if your favicons are obvious enough.

Now I know that is just a little thing that some here probably already do, but what else have you learned from your normal friends?

Tomosaur
March 27th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I am leaving the topic to be very open, as I am sure there are a ton of good ideas out there from the average computer user.

The other day I was at my friends house. I was observing her Firefox when I witnessed a simple, yet pretty productive and conservative idea. She had all of her bookmarks in the bookmark bar, but she didn't use text next to them.

http://i44.tinypic.com/20qgl7o.png

I never thought of this because, well honestly, I never really cared about my bookmarks. It makes sense if your favicons are obvious enough.

Now I know that is just a little thing that some here probably already do, but what else have you learned from your normal friends?

I have never seen any of my friends use a computer in anything like a sensible way.

Dngrsone
March 27th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Keyboard shortcuts. They help a lot when you have to lean over someone to fix their foul-ups.

In fact, I used them so much in Win that I had to hack a few into Ubuntu. http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/Dngrs_1/rolleyes.gif

damis648
March 27th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I have never seen any of my friends use a computer in anything like a sensible way.

Haha, +1.

swoll1980
March 27th, 2009, 12:56 AM
To delete the system32 folder because "That's where the viruses are" You didn't say the ideas had to be good ones. :P

damis648
March 27th, 2009, 12:57 AM
To delete the system32 folder because "That's were the viruses are" You didn't say the ideas had to be good ones. :P

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

You need to put that in the 'You know you are a stupid computer user when...' thread.

dragos240
March 27th, 2009, 12:58 AM
To delete the system32 folder because "That's were the viruses are" You didn't say the ideas had to be good ones. :P

that IS a good idea, it's windows, who cares.

wmcbrine
March 27th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I first learned about Google from my mother. There were probably a few other things like that, but that one stands out in my memory. But mostly, I agree with Tomosaur.

aeiah
March 27th, 2009, 02:52 AM
the only useful thing i can think of that i picked up of someone else is to simply type queries into firefox's address bar. google will point me to the right page or display search results.

probably the most obvious thing ive learnt from someone

Firestem4
March 27th, 2009, 03:28 AM

I agree, But I don't believe I use a computer in anything like a sensible way either :P

|Mitch|
March 27th, 2009, 03:31 AM
control + enter instead of having to type .com in address bar

tdrusk
March 27th, 2009, 03:46 AM
control + enter instead of having to type .com in address bar
After much thought, I think this would actually slow me down. I can slap out the ol' ".com" pretty fast.

Mehall
March 27th, 2009, 03:54 AM
After much thought, I think this would actually slow me down. I can slap out the ol' ".com" pretty fast.

if it's a site I've been to before, down arrow and enter is faster than typing .com

especially for google, since it's the only site where I ALWAYS type .cmo instead D:

Lunx
March 27th, 2009, 05:58 AM
but what else have you learned from your normal friends?

Nothing...

None of my friends are normal :lolflag: