PDA

View Full Version : Is (re)clawing cats possible?

dragos240
March 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I had my cute little cat pawesome, he is declawed now, I think he should be reclawed. He looks out the window every day watching the window, almost nothing can distract him, and when he sees a bird or a squirrel or another small animal, he tries to chase it, so he bumps into the window, alas, it's a window. My mom is just worried that he will get hurt outdoors, but he really wants to go outside.... what should i do?

chucky chuckaluck
March 26th, 2009, 07:22 PM
don't let the cat outside. if he gets chased by a dog, he'll have a hard time getting up a tree. you shouldn't have had him declawed. it's cruel.

damis648
March 26th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Think about it: If I removed your hands and then threw them away, does it sound terribly easy to reverse that?

dragos240
March 26th, 2009, 07:25 PM
don't let the cat outside. if he gets chased by a dog, he'll have a hard time getting up a tree. you shouldn't have had him declawed. it's cruel.

I agree, i wasn't the one who decided that, i wanted to keep his claws! He should be free! And you changed your avatar didn't you...

Icehuck
Keeping the cat inside keeps it form getting run over by cars. This also keeps them away from other cats and he doesn't run the risk of getting FIV. If the cats not fixed shame on you for wanting to let him outside.

I hate avoiding dead cat carcasses on the street I live on.

Bios Element

No, declawing cats is not cruel. I've had 7 cats, Every single one declawed and lemme tell you, One of them saw a mouse, It didn't stand a chance. In short, Don't let your cat outside. Every cat likes watching birds and such, But you won't have to deal with all the stuff they can pickup outside.

ubersolid
+1 for Chucky Ckuckaluck, declawing a cat? why would anybody do such a thing? The cat is defensless against any cat-eating predators out there, not to mention other cats.

dragos240
March 26th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Think about it: If I removed your hands and then threw them away, does it sound terribly easy to reverse that?

Well, it's not called de-pawing is it? I would say that our nails would be the closest to claws, and i really don't know.

kpatz
March 26th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Declawing a cat is done by amputating their toes at the joint (imagine cutting off your fingers at the joint right before the fingernail).

Obviously this isn't reversible.

Something to think about next time you think about getting a cat declawed...

damis648
March 26th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Well, it's not called de-pawing is it? I would say that our nails would be the closest to claws, and i really don't know.

Well I just used an example, I could have said removed an eye or a lung. Either way, not easily reversible.

dragos240
March 26th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Declawing a cat is done by amputating their toes at the joint (imagine cutting off your fingers at the joint right before the fingernail).

Obviously this isn't reversible.

Again I wasn't the one who made the decision, and also i tried to prevent my mom from doing it. But alas, not everything I can control.

Giant Speck
March 26th, 2009, 07:30 PM
No, declawing cats is not cruel.

Do you know what goes on during an onychectomy? Declawing is actually a misnomer. What the veterinarians are actually doing is amputating each of the cat's toes at the first joint. They go in and cut through nerve and muscle tissue and remove bone from the toe.

The procedure is done with minimal, if any, painkillers, and pain medications are strongly advised against after the procedure.

Declawing a cat is cruel.

dragos240
March 26th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Well I just used an example, I could have said removed an eye or a lung. Either way, not easily reversible.

You just said easily does that mean that I can get my cat re-clawed?

Simian Man
March 26th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Declawing cats is cruel and irreversible. It would be like cutting of the whole last digit of each of your fingers.

That said, I take my cat to the park on a leash and harness. People look at me like I'm insane, but she enjoys it.

damis648
March 26th, 2009, 07:31 PM

not easily reversible.

Alas, I doubt it.

Giant Speck
March 26th, 2009, 07:32 PM

Not unless you can find where the veterinarians disposed of your cat's toes, which I doubt was in a sterile, low-temperature environment.

Icehuck

My nice furniture vs my pet cat's claws that can be removed? Gee, I wonder which is going to win. Also I don't need scratch marks from cat claws on me or the toddlers that are in my house.

chucky chuckaluck
No, declawing cats is not cruel. I've had 7 cats, Every single one declawed

how would your common practice be evidence that it isn't cruel?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychectomy

damis648
March 26th, 2009, 07:33 PM
how would your common practice be evidence that it isn't cruel?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychectomy

Let us please not turn this into an ethical debate.

dragos240
March 26th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Declawing cats is cruel and irreversible. It would be like cutting of the whole last digit of each of your fingers.

That said, I take my cat to the park on a leash and harness. People look at me like I'm insane, but she enjoys it.

Is it entirely irreversible? Do you think that some previously de-clawed cat's digits could be put on another cat, and let the cat take out his claws again. I know it sounds wierd, but my dad had his thumb dis-attached and he got it put back on, and he can move it.

Simian Man
March 26th, 2009, 07:35 PM
My nice furniture vs my pet cat's claws that can be removed? Gee, I wonder which is going to win. Also I don't need scratch marks from cat claws on me or the toddlers that are in my house.

Let's see amputating a living creature's appendages vs. spending the time to properly train your pets. I wonder which is the more responsible solution? I have had two clawed cats and have never had furniture or skin damaged.

chucky chuckaluck
March 26th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Let us please not turn this into an ethical debate.

ok. no, it's not possible to reclaw a cat.

ubersolid
March 26th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I'd throw out my furniture before even thinking about declawing... the thought makes me sick.

Rocket2DMn
March 26th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Thread closed for staff review.