PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] title bar changes to color of tool bar

danebramaged
March 26th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Hi:

My title bar (brown) changes to the color of the tool bar (gray) which is just beneath it. This happens when ever I move the mouse over it. The effect is that it looks ugly, but also, I cannot see the minimize, maximize and "X" symbols in the upper right-hand corner because, everything gets washed-out.

This is a fresh install with nvidia 177 drivers on a Ubuntu distro.

How do I get the color of the title bar "locked in" so it will stay put?

Daddyo-613
March 26th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Hi:

My title bar (brown) changes to the color of the tool bar (gray) which is just beneath it. This happens when ever I move the mouse over it. The effect is that it looks ugly, but also, I cannot see the minimize, maximize and "X" symbols in the upper right-hand corner because, everything gets washed-out.

This is a fresh install with nvidia 177 drivers on a Ubuntu distro.

How do I get the color of the title bar "locked in" so it will stay put?

I had the same problem using Geforce 7300 LE graphics card. Some threads indicate that there are problems with ver. 177 of the nVidia driver. There are newer versions but they haven't been tested by ubuntu yet.

I solved my problem by changing themes. Some themes are more graphically intensive than others. Go to System>Preferences>Appearance then select and try various themes. I changed from <Human> to <Glossy> and that solved the problem.

Good luck!

danebramaged
March 27th, 2009, 10:44 PM
you are correct daddyo, but the glossy theme is hidious. [spelling] Ubuntu brown goes with my grateful dead "american beauty" wall paper. It also goes well with my "blues for allah" wall paper.

the situation can be corrected though, so that's good except for the fact that my themes are very limited. I did a massive download with Art Manager which sits just beneath Appearance on the System Preferences Menu but after dl'ing I couldn't find that anything actually had been dl'd. I couldn't find anything on my hard drive.

anyway, thanx much.

tayl

Hansinox
March 29th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I experienced sismlar symptoms with my Geforce 6200 card and Nvidia driver 177.82. Changing the driver back to 173 did not improve the situation.
Setting system>preferences......visual effects to none solved my problem. May be this works for you too.

danebramaged
March 30th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I see what daddyo was saying now and it works. No need to roll back nvidia drivers.

Just go to >System >Appearance >Customize.

Then switch human-clearlooks to human.

It worked for me.

tayl