PDA

View Full Version : new linux distro

davo11
March 26th, 2009, 05:45 PM
hi!
i'm wondering about checking out a new distro between now and the release of jaunty. i want a distro that is a bit more 'challenging' than linux (not like gentoo or slax though). a balance of user friendliness and a bit of challenge.
thanks

albandy
March 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM
This is a wish list? I want a new car!

Sealbhach
March 26th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Arch Linux. Just follow the Wiki. No compiling necessary but good learnings.

bhishan
March 26th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Go for Fedora.

binbash
March 26th, 2009, 06:41 PM
arch linux.It is between gentoo and ubuntu

kidux
March 26th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Slackware. It's really easy to install, plus getting the configuration done is a snap by looking at the Slackware forums on www.linuxquestions.org, or the official site at www.slackware.org.

Simian Man
March 26th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Check out Zenwalk. It is slackware based, comes with a curses installer and features the new Xfce 4.6. I'd say it is a good mix of easy to use and learning.

jelle_
March 26th, 2009, 06:54 PM
slackware is a lot different from ubuntu. you have to use startx to get kde. here is a good tutorial: http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_slackware12

LowSky
March 26th, 2009, 07:02 PM
If you want different try OpenSuse or Fedora

If you want a small chalenge Arch is good for that, getting the GUI up will make you feel amazing once it works, I took me a few hours (when it shouldn't have) because I missed a step and didn't install a important componant (HAL support). But the Arch Wiki is really easy to follow as long as you dont skip steps like me. BTW Pacman is an awesome tool in Arch, very simular to Ubuntu's Apt-get

Otherwise why not try OpenSolaris, its actually another form of Unix so its will be something new to learn. Its easy to install so the only issue will be learning some new commands.

Dragonbite
March 26th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Fedora. It gives a nice bleeding edge feel while being manageable.

gjoellee
March 26th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Arch Linux

andrew.46
March 27th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Hi jelle,

slackware is a lot different from ubuntu. you have to use startx to get kde.

You can do this is you want but most will alter the default runlevel in /etc/inittab so that X is automatically loaded. And don't forget that real slackware users will be running xfce not kde :-).

Andrew

eyeofliberty
March 27th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Debian, Arch, or Sidux.

Remember, Ubuntu is African for "Can't install Debian." :P

Mason Whitaker
March 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Just stick with Ubuntu, it's not that hard to dive deeper into Linux with it if you really want to, at least untill you're comfortable with the command line.

+1 XD

liamnixon
March 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
And don't forget that real slackware users will be running xfce not kde :-).

I guess I'm not a real Slacker, then. Slackware made me not hate KDE, actually. \\:D/

chucky chuckaluck
March 27th, 2009, 04:45 PM
+1 for arch. great documentation without all the tl/dr manifesto filler some of the other 'challenging' distros seem afflicted with.

Simian Man
March 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Fedora. It gives a nice bleeding edge feel while being manageable.

I agree, you will see software that will probably make its way to Ubuntu in a few releases.

andrew.46
March 27th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Hi eyeofliberty,

Sounds a little like Dan C: 'Ubuntu is African for "Slackware is too hard for me"'. Any useneters here?

Andrew

jimi_hendrix
March 27th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Arch Linux. Just follow the Wiki. No compiling necessary but good learnings.

+1, before 8.10 came out i did the same and installed arch, and i loved it

i came back when i realized ubuntu liked my vid card more (ubuntu probably optimizes something somewhere)

apmcd47
March 27th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Hi eyeofliberty,

Sounds a little like Dan C: 'Ubuntu is African for "Slackware is too hard for me"'. Any useneters here?
Yup!

I've even suggested comp.unix.shell to someone on this forum.

Andrew
Snap!

Andrew

Chemical Imbalance
March 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Just for something different, how about research BSD and install PCBSD:

www.pcbsd.org

PCBSD gives you a desktop environment (unlike FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc...) to start out on

Dragonbite
March 28th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Hi jelle,

You can do this is you want but most will alter the default runlevel in /etc/inittab so that X is automatically loaded. And don't forget that real slackware users will be running xfce not kde :-).

Andrew

Ouch!
Isn't openSUSE built off of Slackware? You dissin' all the geeko users? :lolflag: