PDA

View Full Version : New Yahoo! Mail

CraigPaleo
March 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I just checked my Yahoo! mail for the first time in a very long time. It told me
The all-new Yahoo! Mail has not been tested with your operating system.

Well, I've just tested it and everything works fine - the fancy stationery, the slideshow feature, and everything else!

How long has this new mail been available? I wouldn't doubt it's been quite a while. They probably didn't design it with Linux in mind but, come on. Is there not one Linux machine at Yahoo?

It had to have taken them longer to put that page up than it did for me to test it myself!

I know it shouldn't be big enough a deal that I vent about it here but little things like this irk me sometimes. No one should have to click an extra button and wonder if it's going to crash their browser.

Ericyzfr1
March 26th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I saw that too. It appears only when you logon after clearing your private data.

Redache
March 26th, 2009, 02:03 PM
That would be a little counter productive since I believe Yahoo! run on Linux/Unix servers. The day WebMail requires Flash or some other proprietary means of accessing them is the day I stop using WebMail. It's why I like Google Mail, they haven't felt the need to bling it up like Yahoo! and Hotmail, which look awfull now.

Ozor Mox
March 26th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I use Yahoo Mail and I've also seen this warning. It works fine for me in Firefox as well.

I remember a thread a while ago about Parcel Force blocking Linux users from using their website, even though when people used that Firefox plugin that masks which OS you are using, it all worked fine.

I don't understand this sort of thing. Am I being completely stupid, or should Firefox (or any other cross-platform browser) render exactly the same web page no matter what OS is being used? Well, with the exception of the style of a few controls maybe, but nothing serious. Or is this more of a problem?

perlluver
March 26th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Works fine for me too, in Slackware. Also got that stupid message. My wife running Linux also, got a message to upgrade to the safer Internet Explorer 8. After I stopped laughing, I said yeah that might be a good idea, if you are on Windows.

sydbat
March 26th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Yahoo! had their "new mail" interface up for about 1 1/2 years in beta. Apparently, it is now 'gold' (or whatever).

I had no problem with the beta since they brought it out, and find it amusing that I get this message when I log in.

And it only comes up when you clear your private data.

I wouldn't worry about it...unless they suddenly require IE (insert version here)...

Giant Speck
March 26th, 2009, 04:32 PM
The "All New Yahoo! Mail" has been around for quite some time and was labeled as beta. While the new version of the website will give you a warning that it has not been tested with your operating system, they give you the option to continue to the webpage anyway. If you experience problems with the new website, they still give you the option to revert back to the old Yahoo! Mail.

Basically, you get two pluses with this website:

1.) It lets you use it even if it has not been tested on your operating system, but is also kind enough to tell you that it has not been tested on your operating system.

2.) You can always switch back to the classic view. (Hopefully, this stays at least semi-permanent).

CraigPaleo
March 27th, 2009, 02:56 AM
I'm sure they'll always offer the older version just like gmail. I use gmail and Evolution. I was just checking an old Yahoo account for any surprises.

The point is that it's just not that hard to test. They do know that it does not work with Konqueror so they should know that it does work with Firefox and Epiphany. Frankly, I think they just don't give a damn.

wolfen69
March 27th, 2009, 03:20 AM
new yahoo mail? yawn.

CraigPaleo
March 27th, 2009, 05:12 AM
It's not new.

Excedio
March 27th, 2009, 06:08 AM
I'd be more impressed if they allowed me the ability to use IMAP or POP3 without having to pay a fee.

No matter what, I think that Gmail will always have the edge.

sujoy
March 27th, 2009, 08:37 AM
yea without IMAP/POP3 email aint just the same thing i know it to be

I-75
March 27th, 2009, 10:29 AM
When are they going to fix that Error Code 1 ? While one can log into their mail account, they can't read any mail. Yahoo said it was a temporary problem, but its been over six months.

Giant Speck
March 27th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I'd be more impressed if they allowed me the ability to use IMAP or POP3 without having to pay a fee.

No matter what, I think that Gmail will always have the edge.

Thunderbird has addons that allow you to check your Hotmail and Yahoo! Mail accounts through Thunderbird.

richg
March 27th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I have been using Yahoo email since June 1998. Very nice. I use the web based version.

Rich