PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] desktop not centered in the monitor and very small icons

Barbelo
March 26th, 2009, 10:33 AM
hi
I just intaled ubuntu 8.10 ahd first the icons are very small. i tried changing it with settings -> appearence but i manage only the letters to be bigger. mabe is related but also on firefox the websites are very small I have to zoom in several times everytime.
the other problem is that the desktop is not centered in the monitor it is a centimetre to right and I have no clue how to fix it. When I installed it was ok then it asked me to download nvidia drivers so i did and when I restarted it it was off centered the I tried with the monitor resolution and restarted it again and was off center the other direction so not touched it since and i dont know how to solve it
please help?
thanks .

tom4jean
March 26th, 2009, 03:58 PM
The Nvidia driver changed your screen resolution automatically.

Go to The display settings in the settings menu and change the screen resolution to what you had before,probably 1024x768.
Then also go to Settings==>Nvidia x-server settings and pick the x-server display configuration from the left panel and change it there to the same setting you just put in the Display settings menu for ubuntu.
It may already be the same, but it does have to be the same in both places or it will revert back to the old settings when you re-boot.

Finally, to get it centered on your screen you have to use your actual monitors settings to center it.
That is a physical button with a menu on your monitor, (not software). Every monitor has a little different buttons. Mine has a menu button that you access first then other buttons to pick what you want to change.There should be settings to both stretch the screen size to fit the monitor as well as a settings to move it up or down.

I only know his because I just had to do the same problem on mine, but I am new to ubuntu so if anyone has anything to add, please do.

Good luck.Tom

Barbelo
March 26th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Thank you very much !