PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] hide icon notification area

don durito
March 26th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Hi,

I would like to know if there is any way to hide icons from the notification area?
Its a brease in kde but i can't find the appropriate menu/option in gnome.

any help would be apreciated

yours
don

mcduck
March 26th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Usually every program that places icon in the notification area also has an option in it's settings to not display the icon.

If you need more help than that, please tell what icon you wish to hide.

x33a
March 26th, 2009, 10:34 AM
right-click on empty space in the notification area, and select remove from panel.

mcduck
March 26th, 2009, 10:57 AM
right-click on empty space in the notification area, and select remove from panel.

Yes, that works of course if you want to remove all notification icons instead of just some of them.

x33a
March 26th, 2009, 10:59 AM
oh, i thought he wanted to remove the notification area itself :)

sublime78ska
March 28th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Yes, that works of course if you want to remove all notification icons instead of just some of them.

I'm not the OP, but I'm trying to get the Network-Manager Applet not to display in the notification area. I've tried removing network-manager and network-manager-gnome but it's still there. I'm using the Network Monitor applet instead.

Is there a way to make it not display? The icon has a red ! making me think there's a problem.

Thanks,
Phil

Absorbed
April 23rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
I have the same problem. I have several icons in the notification area at the top-right, and I want to remove the network icon since it is mistakenly reporting that there is a problem when there isn't. I've tried right-clicking on it, but there doesn't appear to be an option to remove it.

Absorbed
April 23rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
I've fixed it. In Jaunty, you do the following:

System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications (I think Startup Applications was previously called Sessions)

In the Startup Applications Preferences window you untick the box next to Network Manager, and after a reboot the network icon in the notification area has gone.