PDA

View Full Version : [other] gave up waiting for root device

enri2
March 26th, 2009, 04:04 AM
to begin with, I have linux mint. Since linux mint is based on ubuntu and is identical I'm posting this here because mint community is.... anyway after installing mint, I reboot and i get this error " gave up waiting for root device.
here is a picture showing this error
http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc07052q.jpg
I'm dual booting with vista. When I dual booted with xp (no vista present this error didn't happen
:(

kyeohti
March 26th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Hi Enri2,

I'm no expect but I'm a bit familiar with this since I'm having a similar problem. The tips you see on screen will help identify what pieces the loader needs to continue. In my case, it turns out my hard drive isn't partitioned correctly so I get the same error you have. Sorry I can't be much more help. I'm still looking for a solution myself.

Cheers,

Kyeohti

enri2
March 26th, 2009, 06:52 PM
well I think I fixed my problem.
this is what I did:

when you restart your system (when the boot loader appears) do not choose the first option , choose "other operating systems" instead.then a error will come up saying that there are no other os , just hit enter then a blue screen with the same options as the boot loader will come up; choose the first option and press your right arrow or enter. Notice: this worked on my computer but it may not work on yours.