PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Low-Pass Filter on LFE using ALSA

maxim99
March 26th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I have ALSA working flawless on my system. All the channels assignments are correct.

The concern that I have is regarding the LFE channel. I use an application called XBMC to play video files and such. When I encounter a video that's is encoded with stereo sound XBMC reproduces the sound on all channels and distributes the sound appropriately.

It also distributes the sound to the LFE channel in full range audio.

I found this page here: http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Low-pass_filter_for_subwoofer_channel_(HOWTO)

However this only applies when the source is stereo, and the application is assigned to use the stereo PCM device.

I can copy paste the asoundrc config off of that page and it works without a hitch. However, i'm looking to have it apply at a higher level to the surround51 device.

I tried modifying the lowpass_21to21 device to 6 channels and changed the slave device to plughw:0,0 which would be the sound card. However, doing this seems to bypass the plugins.

This will be the first time i've used ladspa plugins with alsa is anyone else familiar with them and might be able to give me some pointers?

This is the config I thought would work but it seems the plugins aren't applied:
pcm.lowpass51 {
type ladspa
slave.pcm default
path "/usr/lib/ladspa";
channels 6
plugins {
0 {
id 1098 # Identity (Audio) (1098/identity_audio)
policy duplicate
input.bindings.0 "Input";
output.bindings.0 "Output";
}
1 {
id 1672 # 4 Pole Low-Pass Filter with Resonance (FCRCIA) (1672/lp4pole_fcrcia_oa)
policy none
input.bindings.6 "Input";
output.bindings.6 "Output";
input {
controls [ 300 2 ]
}
}
}
}I would call the device using plug:lowpass51

maxim99
March 28th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I have no idea why this wasn't working for me before. Here is the final working configuration, with comments to explain various aspects.

pcm.lowpass51 {
type ladspa # Define the type of device, this is plugin called ladspa
slave.pcm "plughw:0,0"; # Defines the device the sound will be sent to, this being the hardware locator of the soundcard in question.
path "/usr/lib/ladspa" # This is needed for the ladspa plugin to tell it where the modules are.
channels 6 # Defines how many channels this device is, 5.1 or 6 channels.
plugins {
0 { # First plugin
id 1098 # Identity (Audio) (1098/identity_audio)
policy duplicate # This plugin's capability is pass-thru audio to the next plugin
input.bindings.0 "Input"; # Only channel zero is called out becuase the module itself
output.bindings.0 "Output"; # duplicates all channels when it's uses, so just one is needed.
}
1 { # Second plugin
id 1672 # 4 Pole Low-Pass Filter with Resonance (FCRCIA) (1672/lp4pole_fcrcia_oa)
policy none # Standard policy? Not sure what this does exactly
input.bindings.5 "Input"; # Defines which channels the plugin applies
output.bindings.5 "Output"; # Channel 5 is alsa's LFE channel
input {
controls [ 250 2 ] # Controls the cross-over frequency, and resonance. 250hz with 2 resonance
}
}
}
}
Call this device by using the plug: prefix so for this device I would call "plug:lowpass51"

mas1o
May 19th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I can use this in ubuntu 11.04?
But here is pulseaudio?