PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Easy Way To Find Song Duplicates!

sanskaras
March 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM
So I've been searching for a way to easier find and delete duplicates in my music library and finally found it at http://www.music-similarity.com!

It looks at the filename, tags, and even uses algorithms to scan and match the content of songs! Then presents an easy gui for which one to delete.

It's a windows program so I'm running it right now on a XP host in Vmware server on Intrepid to scan a library of 60,000 songs on my external hdd. I also did test it in wine and it did work, but I feel the performance is better in vmware.

Heres a screen shot of it in action on my machine after I just started it a not too long ago. Shows the percent match of content and percent match of tags and such.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii15/nddeluca/similarity.jpg

- Thought I'd Share

inobe
March 26th, 2009, 12:26 AM
linux apps have the capability

lovinglinux
March 26th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Nice. Not useful for me, but I will share it on another post I saw about mp3 duplicates.

linux apps have the capability

Could you please be more specific?

inobe
March 26th, 2009, 01:45 AM
amarok for example : from the menu bar... playlists > remove duplicate and dead entries.

sanskaras
March 26th, 2009, 02:06 AM
I found amaroks too but I don't think it worked that well, and I like to see what it's deleting. I want to choose which ones to keep by looking at the tags, bitrates, and filetypes, etc. Also, my amarok always gives an error when I try to delete anything? idk why?

Anyways this program is able to find duplicates with different file names AND different tags, haven't found one able to do that yet. Heck the other file doesn't even need tags.

Btw, this isn't just for mp3's. It compares MP3, WMA, ASF, WAV, FLAC, APE, WV, files with one another, not just against each other. For example, it will find a duplicate mp3 to a counterpart wma. Which is an awesome plus for me at least because my library is mixed.

inobe
March 26th, 2009, 02:53 AM
i don't know why you get any errors, it's been working fine with over 85 gigs of music in mixed formats from ogg to mp3..

i honestly never had an issue

sanskaras
March 26th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Really? Amarok works fine for me as far as playing music and connecting to my ipod. But it has never been able to edit my filesystem. I can never right click on a song a click delete, it always pops up with an error. Ran like that on hardy and now on intrepid for me :/

Guess I'll have to look into that!