PDA

View Full Version : Emulator OS

Indian_Guy101
March 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Well I was starting a prject and I posted it in Absolute Beginner Talk on accident lol! Well If you have knowledge of emulators and are looking to join a development project, then check this link out: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1104546

smartboyathome
March 26th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Have you checked out AdeOS? Join the development there, as it should help do what you want.

Neo_The_User
March 26th, 2009, 12:15 AM
i'd love to start a new distro with the OP that way im in charge sorta.

DeadSuperHero
March 26th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Look into E/OS, it's a huge emulator OS project.

Indian_Guy101
March 28th, 2009, 11:51 PM
i'd love to start a new distro with the OP that way im in charge sorta.
I am cool with that, you probably know more than me.

As for E/OS I am trying to make something that runs emulators for just standard game consoles and portable game consoles.Which means the ones that have emulators out of this list:

Nintendo
› GameCube
› Nintendo 64
› Gameboy
› Gameboy Advance
› Super Nintendo
› Nintendo NES
› Nintendo DS
› Nintendo Wii
› Virtual Boy

Sony
› Sony Playstation
› Sony Playstation 2
› Sony Playstation 3
› Sony PSP

Microsoft
› Microsoft XBox
› Microsoft XBox 360

Sega
› Sega Dreamcast
› Sega Saturn
› Sega Genesis
› Sega Master System
› Sega Game Gear

Arcade
› MAME
› Nebula
› Kawaks
› Other Arcade

dragos240
March 29th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I am cool with that, you probably know more than me.

As for E/OS I am trying to make something that runs emulators for just standard game consoles and portable game consoles.Which means the ones that have emulators out of this list:

Nintendo
› GameCube
› Nintendo 64
› Gameboy
› Gameboy Advance
› Super Nintendo
› Nintendo NES
› Nintendo DS
› Nintendo Wii
› Virtual Boy

Sony
› Sony Playstation
› Sony Playstation 2
› Sony Playstation 3
› Sony PSP

Microsoft
› Microsoft XBox
› Microsoft XBox 360

Sega
› Sega Dreamcast
› Sega Saturn
› Sega Genesis
› Sega Master System
› Sega Game Gear

Arcade
› MAME
› Nebula
› Kawaks
› Other Arcade

Thats a bit much to ask for.

TheSlipstream
March 29th, 2009, 01:48 AM
› GameCube
› Nintendo Wii
› Sony Playstation 2
› Sony Playstation 3
› Microsoft XBox
› Microsoft XBox 360

There are no effective emulators for these, and even if you developed them you'd be sued in a second. Not to mention the latest generation are still to powerful to be emulated. You should also keep in mind that there are few good emulators for Linux, which I found out when I was looking for a N64 emulator. Unfortunately, Project 64 isn't open source.

chris200x9
March 29th, 2009, 02:13 AM
There are no effective emulators for these, and even if you developed them you'd be sued in a second. Not to mention the latest generation are still to powerful to be emulated. You should also keep in mind that there are few good emulators for Linux, which I found out when I was looking for a N64 emulator. Unfortunately, Project 64 isn't open source.

pcsx2? linux and open source too :) but you do need a badass machine. Oh yea that's ps2 fyi you are right about ps3 and I assume xbox and 360

Indian_Guy101
March 31st, 2009, 03:27 AM
Yes I happen to know that the nextgen consoles do not have emulators for them and neither does the original xbox (the only commercial game is halo) for the gamecube and wii, there is dolphin. I can run pcsx2 just fine, and my computer isn't too costly. Well if any1 is interested plz contact me and I am willing to negotiate if u would rather lead.

DeadSuperHero
March 31st, 2009, 03:31 AM
I mean, it's a nice idea and all.

But why go through all the trouble of emulating these platforms?

Why not just work on creating a superior gaming platform for Linux?

Indian_Guy101
April 1st, 2009, 02:40 AM
I mean, it's a nice idea and all.

But why go through all the trouble of emulating these platforms?

Why not just work on creating a superior gaming platform for Linux?

Please elaborate on that.

I do not see how this would be that hard. All I need to do is install gOS on a virtual machine, install and configure the emulators I want, change the boot screen and the logos, and then make a cd out of it using something like remastersys. This will compile it into an iso which I can then be burned on a cd by whoever wants to use the operating system and then installed to their harddrives. Maybe if that goes well, 6 months later I will think of making a second release with a more frontend like interface, but there is a lot of time for that.

DeadSuperHero
April 1st, 2009, 03:08 AM
What I mean is, why bother trying to make old games run on emulators that hog resources and probably will never get it 100% right?

Why not work on developing frameworks and game engines for Linux that would make it a superior platform to develop for? Then developers would have more of a reason to port/create their games.

Heck, even take it a step further and provide some kind of visual game editor to make game development easier with Free Software. That'd be awesome.

Indian_Guy101
April 2nd, 2009, 01:35 AM
I should first tell you something. I am a geek, but I am not yet smart enough to do what you are saying. I am only 12 years old, and I can only program in C++ and that I have not yet fully learned, I am still in the process of learning. I love linux and emulators so I thought I would put them together. I am busy with school and all so I thought I'd pick something that would not involve too much long and drawn out development. That is one reason I picked what I did.

tjwoosta
April 2nd, 2009, 02:14 AM

mupen64plus is an awesome n64 emulator for linux, if you havnt tried it yet

Indian_Guy101
April 2nd, 2009, 02:18 AM
So I go back to my original question. Is there anyone that would like to work with me on this project?