PDA

View Full Version : Help with arch on USB? I created a chart, but need some help.

dragos240
March 25th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Okay, i want to install arch linux to my flash drive, trouble is, it doesn't want to boot, i have made a plan, i scanned it and cropped it, i hope you can read my sloppy handwriting, i can't really get the first part down, becuase i don't know what the requirments are to make a USB boot, the livecd works good, but i want an arch USB that i can save files to while using arch, not the cruddy read-only filesystem, can anyone help me?

Skripka
March 25th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Okay, i want to install arch linux to my flash drive, trouble is, it doesn't want to boot, i have made a plan, i scanned it and cropped it, i hope you can read my sloppy handwriting, i can't really get the first part down, becuase i don't know what the requirments are to make a USB boot, the livecd works good, but i want an arch USB that i can save files to while using arch, not the cruddy read-only filesystem, can anyone help me?

1st things 1st.

Are you CERTAIN, that your BIOS will let you boot off USB?

dragos240
March 25th, 2009, 11:46 PM
absolutely, i used the linux version of unetbootin to install the livecd of arch core to the usb and booted it. It worked, but i can't save any files becuase of the read only filesystem.

Skripka
March 25th, 2009, 11:55 PM
If you have an Arch installed and configured on a machine, you could just rsync that install to the drive, and then (re)configure the GRUB on it....I think.

Or.

As I recall the beginners Wiki talks about running the installer CD and setting the destination to the USB flash volume.

dragos240
March 26th, 2009, 12:13 AM
i did, but it doesn't want to boot that way, there must be something that helps USB drives boot. Thats what i want to figure out.

dragos240
March 26th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Okay i read an arch wiki page about installing arch to a usb stick and it is very confusing, can someone explain this (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_Arch_Linux_on_a_USB_key) to me? I don't know how to "modprobe" anything, i also don't know what to edit when i am editing /arch/setup lines 95 and 98, i am pretty darn confused with this :(.

dragos240
March 26th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Bump!

smartboyathome
March 26th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Have you tried Larch? It should work for you. :)

.Maleficus.
March 26th, 2009, 09:21 PM
My first install of Arch was onto a USB drive. The installation should be no different than a normal install, a few tips though.

1. Use ext2 for /. No need to journal on such a small amount of space.
2. For your Grub, use UUIDs.

Other than that, like I said, it's no different than a normal install.

dragos240
March 26th, 2009, 09:23 PM
my problem though is mounting the usb drive.

.Maleficus.
March 26th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I guess I can't help with that then since the partitioner recognized mine automatically.

Edit: You could try opening up another v/c and running "blkid" to see what the device is listed as. After that it should just be a matter of running "mount" with the correct parameters.

dragos240
March 27th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Hmm... yeah, even in the ubuntu i am running right now it doesn't recognise it via blkid (is that block id?)

dragos240
March 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM
bump