PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't get past the 8.10 blank screen...

ocribin
March 25th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Dunno if this is just an ordinary post or a whole new thread.... Can't find a simple "post" command".
Tried to instal ubuntu 8.10 from downloaded CD. Went through 2 hours of copying from CD, then rebooted, it went through more processes (including partitioning, finding several I/O errors and gettign me to select a user name and password), then rebooted again, got as far as asing me for my name and password, then gave me a light-orange screen, which I have been looking at for the last hour.
Working on XP, on a Dell with 768mb (0.75GB) DDR ram. XP was very slow, 7 minutes just starting up, when I had 256MB or RAM, so bought more, but it was still slow, so decided to try Ubuntu. Can't say i'm impressed so far.
Anybody out there who can help me?
Colm

coffeecat
March 26th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Something's very wrong. It takes me about 20 minutes to do a fresh install and less than a minute to boot up 8.10. If you're getting a light-orange screen with nothing else on it after logging in, either something has gone wrong with the install or there's some issue with your hardware.

I don't follow this at all:

Went through 2 hours of copying from CD, then rebooted, it went through more processes (including partitioning, finding several I/O errors and gettign me to select a user name and password), then rebooted again, got as far as asing me for my name and password, then gave me a light-orange screen, which I have been looking at for the last hour.

The process is: download the iso file. Check the md5sum to make sure you haven't got a corrupted download. Burn 'as image' to CD. Boot up CD to get the orange-brown Ubuntu desktop. Double-click on the desktop install icon. Follow the sraightforward install wizard. Have a cup of tea/coffee while it installs. Reboot into new install. Login and watch Ubuntu desktop appear. This should have pale strips (the panels) top and bottom with various icons and launchers on it, and the default wallpaper is brown as far as I remember.

Is any of that familiar? I have no idea what you mean by I/O errors.

a Dell with 768mb (0.75GB) DDR ram

More than adequate.

If you want to pursue this, post more details of your hardware, but I would guess that there was something wrong either with the downloaded ISO or the CD you burnt.

damis648
March 26th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Yes, something is very wrong. Besides what was stated already, the installer doesn't reboot a single time during installation. Are you sure it asked you to reboot?

radiognome
March 26th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Can you boot from the life-cd and does that deliver a working Ubuntu Desktop-environment? What happens if you press [ctr] [alt] [F1] ? Do you get a 'dos-screen' with a login-prompt?

gluxon
March 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Actually, I've had the same problem with an old computer I found in the basement.

It had Red Hat on it and I decided to get ubuntu on it...

Same result.

But it works fine on my HP Pavilion, same CD.

So now we know it's not the cd or the downloaded ISO. Maybe RAM or the computer not being able to support it.

coffeecat
March 26th, 2009, 10:09 PM
So now we know it's not the cd or the downloaded ISO.

No we don't. Just because you had similar symptoms doesn't necessarily mean that you had the same problem as the OP. I agree that this could be a hardware problem, but we need to follow this logically. And we need more information from the OP.

rahul_bhise
April 9th, 2009, 07:44 PM
i also had same problem the following post solved it
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6075895#post6075895