PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Xorg change to conf file, no change to performance?

TAFKARS
March 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Just a general query. I was having trouble with huge loss of CPU performance, which, following a search, turned out to be a problem with the Xorg configure file. I changed it as below and now get the warning on booting up my laptop that I am running in low-graphics mode, but I have not noticed any difference (apart from the now normal CPU usage).

What sort of compromise have I made on performance, and to what applications would this now affect?

Appreciate any comments!

Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI Technologies, Inc. RV350 AR [Radeon 9600 IGP]"
Driver "ati"
BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
Option "EnablePageFlip" "true"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
Option "AccelMethode" "EXA"
EndSection

markbuntu
March 26th, 2009, 08:29 PM
What does the /var/log/Xorg.0.log have to say, in particular any WW or EE messages?

TAFKARS
March 27th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the reply, will check this when I return home and post.

TAFKARS
April 1st, 2009, 07:51 AM
Apologies for the delayed response.

The only warning on the Xorg.0.log is as below:

(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
Entry deleted from font path.

There is another file called Xorg.0.log.old, and the warning is the same on this one.

Since taking this action I have noticed that The boot time has increased, and that sometimes booting fails, citing something like 'error when searching for drive....', but I cant remember exactly. If it continues I'll perhaps post elsewhere, but powering down and then switching the machine on immediately seems to do the trick.

Appreciate any comments, thanks.