PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Floydian?

Yownanymous
March 25th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I've found a lot of people on these forums with Pink Floyd related profile pictures and things (and quite a few fans on IRC) so I thought I'd put this up.

mkendall
March 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM
From Piper at the Gates of Dawn through to The Wall. Didn't like The Final Cut and don't care for post-Waters Floyd. I don't care for post-Floyd Waters, either.

pol666
March 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM
i like them, but i'm not a fan, so I prefer jethro tull, yes, or genesis.

Mazza558
March 25th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb Live at P.U.L.S.E (1994) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWnapx502uQ)

'Nuff said.

Chilli Bob
March 25th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb Live at P.U.L.S.E (1994) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWnapx502uQ)

'Nuff said.

Yup, that's a pretty conclusive argument.

My favorite albums would be Animals or Meddle or maybe Obscured by Clouds, but there is a lot of good stuff to choose from. Unlike many I quite like the post-Waters Floyd. Roger was just getting too bleak for a while there, and they needed a change of direction.

Solo stuff.....

I didn't get into Radio KAOS or Pros & Cons, but loved Amused to Death. Conversely I liked About Face, but can't get into On an Island.

Ewingo401
March 25th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I'm a huge Floyd fan. Unfortunately, due to my age (26) I never had the chance to see them live. I have however, seen Roger Waters live twice and both times it was incredible. The 2nd time I saw him he did Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety. It was an awesome experience.

MaxIBoy
March 25th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Pink Floyd made the only slow rock music I've ever heard that doesn't suck. Not only does it not suck, it's really good stuff.

kk0sse54
March 25th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I love Pink Floyd, anybody who can make an album like Animals is my hero :D

RiceMonster
March 25th, 2009, 11:30 PM
People voted "who are Pink Floyd"? I hope they're joking... :confused:

Glucklich
March 25th, 2009, 11:38 PM

C'mon... It's inconceivable for us because we love Pink Floyd but there are quite a few people who don't know them.

As for the post-Waters comment. Shame on you. 'The Division Bell' was great. Plus, Gilmour's solo album 'On an Island' was also great. If you expect it to be Pink Floyd or to have their sound, obviously you will be disappointed. All living beings are in constant movement. And artists are no different, so it's only natural for their sound to develop or to follow different paths.

LasherHN
March 25th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove Pink Floyd, just today I've listen to the album Wish You Were here twice. :D

kidux
March 25th, 2009, 11:58 PM
It took a long time to get to the point that I love them now. I used to think the only way to enjoy listening to them was being stoned on acid, but after realizing that each album is essentially a complete song in and of itself, I can't get enough. Comfortably Numb is incredible, but I think I like Shine On You Crazy Diamond the most.

gn2
March 26th, 2009, 12:32 AM
~ As for the post-Waters comment. Shame on you. ~

Roger Waters is hated by many Pink Floyd fans, and by the rest of the band. Not without good reason.

Waters was responsible for Rick Wright's premature and unnecessary departure.
Waters also contested usage of the name Pink Floyd after he left, causing much acrimony.

Pink Floyd died after Rick Wright was sacked, the music after the Wall is not of the same calibre at all.

ddnev45
March 26th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I love Pink Floyd, anybody who can make an album like Animals is my hero :D

That's my favorite album.

init1
March 26th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Meh.

Glucklich
March 26th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Roger Waters is hated by many Pink Floyd fans, and by the rest of the band. Not without good reason.

Waters also contested usage of the name Pink Floyd after he left, causing much acrimony.

Pink Floyd died after Rick Wright was sacked, the music after the Wall is not of the same calibre at all.

Yeah but between Wright's dismissal and Waters departure, was only the Final Cut. And that's why I talked about 'The Division Bell' and the latest David Gilmour's solo album. Personally, I think they are good albums. OK, not of the same caliber but the equation changed. You couldn't expect for results to be the same. But still, I think it was good music. And that's the only thing that matters.

ghindo
March 26th, 2009, 01:58 AM
They're alright, but overrated imo.

Glucklich
March 26th, 2009, 02:04 AM
OK, that's your opinion. Personally, I appreciate them very much. Not as much as some of Pink Floyd's masterpieces, for sure. But still, I have them in very high regard.

liamnixon
March 26th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I can appreciate Pink Floyd more now that I'm out of high school. I was surrounded by Floyd fanatics who wore 'Dark Side' shirts and smoked weed all the time.

That being said, 'Animals' is my favorite of their records. That and 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn.' \\:D/

Pogeymanz
March 26th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I'm a Floyd fanatic. But almost only Waters' Floyd, which I believe is referred to as Pink Floyd II.

Pink Floyd I: Syd Barrett
Pink Floyd II: Roger Waters / no Syd
Pink Floyd III: No more Waters

billgoldberg
March 26th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I like a few of their songs, but not a fan.

They are OK.

koshatnik
March 26th, 2009, 03:32 PM

'Nuff said.

I can't bear that song. And I find The Wall the most pretentious, self absorbed pile of drivel ever written.

I love Syd Barratt era Floyd, and Syd's solo stuff, but after Syd, things got a little too pretentious for my liking.

gn2
March 26th, 2009, 03:39 PM
~ I find The Wall the most pretentious, self absorbed pile of drivel ever written. ~

You've not listened to The Final Cut then?

It's shockingly bad.

koshatnik
March 26th, 2009, 05:01 PM

It's shockingly bad.

More of Roger Water's self absorbed guff then, I take it? Life's too short, think I'll pass on that :P

mthei
March 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
When it comes to pretentious drivel, so many other artists come to mind (mostly a lot of modern prog and psych, as well as others. I'm not naming names, as I don't want to drag this thread down to that level).
While I do agree that the Wall is tremendously overrated, Pink Floyd have remained one of my favourites since I was 12 when I had bought the Division Bell on cassette when it first came out (as I was 12, I admit it was because I really liked the cover).

IceyBlack
March 26th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I voted too : They're ok ,but i like armin much more :)
But Pink Floyd are ok.

Thelasko
March 26th, 2009, 08:50 PM
...but after realizing that each album is essentially a complete song in and of itself, I can't get enough.

Actually each album side is a song in and of itself. For the full experience, listen to Darkside of the Moon on LP. The entire album has a message, told in two parts. Unfortunately that message was obscured with the invention of the CD and almost lost entirely with the MP3.

As to the message itself, I'll give you a hint: You know those screams at the beginning of "Speak to Me" (the first track)? It's a baby crying.

The last track on side 1 is "The Great Gig in the Sky".

Yownanymous
March 26th, 2009, 09:09 PM

It's shockingly bad.

My personal favourites are the Waters and post-Waters albums, and I think that The Final Cut (besides Waters being very megalomaniac) is actually a very effective album.

koshatnik
March 26th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Actually each album side is a song in and of itself. For the full experience, listen to Darkside of the Moon on LP. The entire album has a message, told in two parts. Unfortunately that message was obscured with the invention of the CD and almost lost entirely with the MP3.

As to the message itself, I'll give you a hint: You know those screams at the beginning of "Speak to Me" (the first track)? It's a baby crying.

The album is about death and the pointlessness of existence, and the fact that the pursuit of meaning only leads to insanity.

Its a well worn theme, and nothing original. Its a good album Darkside, but, like all Floyd albums, tends to disappear up its own backside after a while.

But then, its all personal taste. One man's profound, is another mans tedium. :P I daresay there are some people in the world that find Kelly Clarkson profound.

nothingspecial
March 26th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I got bored of Floyd a long time ago, but that is because I listened to them to much. So yes, I love Pink Floyd, I just rarely listen to them anymore.

I`m suprised no one has mentioned Echoes yet. Now that is a crackin` tune especially the version from the Live at Pompeii video.

Yes The Final Cut is pants but "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert" at full volume, with your ears directly between stereo speakers is ace.

Saw them at Earls Court on the Division Bell tour. Fantastic but not what I was looking for. They weren`t really Pink Floyd by then.

kidux
March 26th, 2009, 09:11 PM

I actually have a number of Floyd albums on LP, including DSotM and The Wall. I just need to find a record player, lol!

nothingspecial
March 26th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I actually have a number of Floyd albums on LP, including DSotM and The Wall. I just need to find a record player, lol!

I have `em all on vinyl, record players are widely available. In fact most new albums are released on vinyl and if they`re not they are probably rubbish.

kidux
March 26th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I have `em all on vinyl, record players are widely available. In fact most new albums are released on vinyl and if they`re not they are probably rubbish.
To be more specific, I need to get off my lazy **** and buy a record player. Preferably one that will plug into my Onkyo sound system.

Thelasko
March 26th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I need to get off my lazy **** and buy a record player.

Beware, there are quite a few companies claiming to sell "digital" record players these days. *headsmack*

Thelasko
March 26th, 2009, 10:25 PM
The album is about death and the pointlessness of existence, and the fact that the pursuit of meaning only leads to insanity.
*spoiler*
While in college I discovered the meaning. I informed my roommate after he returned from class, and after asking me what I had been smoking, proceeded to tell me what he had heard.

This is what he said:
Around the time the album was published, there was a philosophy called "The Moon" that was going around. Basically "The Moon" says that life is meaningless.

After he told me that, I came to the conclusion that Darkside of the Moon was actually a rebuttal to that philosophy. Instead of suggesting that searching for meaning leads to insanity, it is saying that the people who believe in "The Moon" were insane.

Perhaps his explanation lead me to the wrong conclusion.
*end spoiler*

gn2
March 26th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I`m suprised no one has mentioned Echoes yet.

Didn't think I needed to, seen my avatar?

Echoes is my favourite piece of music and Meddle is my favourite album.

Christmas
March 26th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Short answer: YESSSS!

I've been a Pink Floyd fan for years now (since I was in highschool) and I just love them, and all their albums. They're the first band in my preferences, and I listen to a lot.

By the way, if you are looking for some very cool community with music addicts (forums, discussions, bios, statistics, pictures and much more) have a look at Last.fm (http://www.last.fm/) (and maybe make an account if you don't have one yet). Also, my last.fm profile (http://www.last.fm/user/Chris7mas).

Opinions are different regarding this one. Although I like too the Waters era (especially Meddle and DSotM), some enjoy more post-Final Cut albums. It's too bad they went separate ways, I think it would have been best for both the band and the fans to release Final Cut as solo album by Waters and go back to the style which made them an international success. I've read somewhere that the choices they had was to release either Final Cut or Waters' Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking (which was released solo anyway), and it was a bad idea. It doesn't mean I don't like this album, it's just that it's practically Waters solo. He is a bloody genius indeed, but Gilmour is a guitar prodigy too. Btw, anyone listened to On an Island or Live in Gdansk? Those album really rock!

Daveski
March 27th, 2009, 01:03 AM
... Pink Floyd's masterpieces ...

Says it all really. Anyone who creates something which can be called a Masterpiece deserves respect. Making multiple Masterpieces is simply amazing.

|{urse
March 27th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I only like Welcome To The Machine (because it has a cool futuristic intro.. or was that the extro?) I guess they just never really grew on me.

Epic Edit: http://www.moviesfoundonline.com/wizard_of_oz_dark_side_of_the_moon.php <----- Nevermind what i just said.. This is freakin awesome!

Thelasko
March 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Epic Edit: http://www.moviesfoundonline.com/wizard_of_oz_dark_side_of_the_moon.php <----- Nevermind what i just said.. This is freakin awesome!

I've seen Dark Side of the Rainbow several times and it usually doesn't do anything special. I think it depends on who sets it up.

I set it up myself once, when Wicked Witch appeared, the word "black" was said in "Us and Them", other than that it wasn't too amazing. When I saw it at a public showing at a movie theater, nothing happened at all.

Yownanymous
March 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM

Unfortunately the degradation of culture (2/4 timing with distorted synthesiser) has meant masters like this are forgotten...

MikeTheC
March 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM

'Nuff said.

Love the visual aspect of that performance, but I'm used to the much faster version of it found in prior performances and recordings, in particular on the "Delicate Sound of Thunder" double-CD album.

Speaking of that particular song, though (and since we're all at least somewhat "geeks" here) you folks might appreciate this particular filk cover (http://www.geekhackfilk.com/gallery/baycon2005/02_Comfortably_Dumb) of it by Tony Fabris.

(If you have video/audio codec issues with the above link, here's a link to an MP3 (http://www.geekhackfilk.com/mp3/Tony%20Fabris%20-%20Comfortably%20Dumb.mp3) of that song.)

Now, getting back to Pink Floyd proper, here's some songs/performances I like:

Sorrow from A Momentary Lapse of Reason (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38aJfElwr2s)

On The Turning Away from A Momentary Lapse of Reason (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI_sv5uswoY)

WatchingThePain
March 28th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I must say I have never really been into Pink Floyd.
I like a couple of songs like 'The big gig in the sky' and 'Crazy Diamond'.
Kind of very abstract music. Having said that I can see that they are original. Even Hawkwind was not as weird as them.
I once met Dave Gilmore.

Yownanymous
March 28th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I once met Dave Gilmore.

:o:cool:

toupeiro
March 28th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I think Pink Floyd were OK, I own a few of their LP's and own the wall as classics, but their sort of psychedelic rock I felt was much better done by the likes of The Doors and Lou Reed / Velvet Underground. Just my opinion though. Credit were its due, they were good, and an influential staple in rock.

Christmas
March 28th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah as a matter of fact Gilmour was interviewed regarding this and he said something like 'Only a person with too much time on their hands would associate DSotM with Wizard of Oz'. So it's just a coincidence, they never intended to do it this way.

sebbouckaert
August 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Yes. Huge fan too.

However, I remember when A Momentary Lapse Of Reason was released around 1986 I absolutely hated that album. Sounded far too eighties and cold to me. But I still went out to see them twice on that Delicate Sound Of Thunder tour in 1988 and 1989.

When I listen to those albums now ow I even start to like some of the songs so I guess I'm really turning old :(

cmay
August 7th, 2009, 08:11 PM
i have the album umma gumma which i think is ok. i like alan parson better. i am not a floydian i guess.

thisllub
August 7th, 2009, 10:56 PM
From Piper at the Gates of Dawn through to The Wall. Didn't like The Final Cut and don't care for post-Waters Floyd. I don't care for post-Floyd Waters, either.

Ditto.
Apart from the 3 Gilmour tracks and a couple of guitar solos the Wall was a pretty grim album.

I own all the others on vinyl.

wojox
August 7th, 2009, 11:00 PM
First song I ever learned on the guitar :

So, so you think you can tell
Heaven from Hell,
Blue skys from pain.
Can you tell a green field
From a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

And did they get you to trade