PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Replacement for Rhythmbox?

jdunn
March 25th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Rumor is that the owner and developer of Rhythmbox will no longer be supporting or updating his software. If that's the case, will Rhythmbox be the default player in Jaunty?

I used to use Kubuntu with Amarok to connect to my 3rd generation Firewire Ipod. Now, I use Ubuntu. Will connecting to my Ipod with Rhythmbox erase the songs on my Ipod? The reason I ask is years ago, I switched from Anapod (commercial 3rd party Itunes clone) to Amarok and lost all my music. I don't want to lose my music again.

I heard there is a project that ported Amarok over to GTK. Would that work (see above)?

SunnyRabbiera
March 25th, 2009, 06:13 PM
There is no real way to say, I suspect Banshee will take over if Rhythmbox fully dies.

CaravanLeader
March 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I hope there will be some kind of voting in such case. I find Exaile better than Banshee. There is also plugin for Ipod in Exaile, but I didn't check it.

KCG102282
March 25th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Rumor is that the owner and developer of Rhythmbox will no longer be supporting or updating his software. If that's the case, will Rhythmbox be the default player in Jaunty?

I used to use Kubuntu with Amarok to connect to my 3rd generation Firewire Ipod. Now, I use Ubuntu. Will connecting to my Ipod with Rhythmbox erase the songs on my Ipod? The reason I ask is years ago, I switched from Anapod (commercial 3rd party Itunes clone) to Amarok and lost all my music. I don't want to lose my music again.

I heard there is a project that ported Amarok over to GTK. Would that work (see above)?
You can use Amarok in Ubuntu.

jdunn
March 26th, 2009, 01:34 AM
You can use Amarok in Ubuntu.

Yes, and I tried that before in a previous install of Intrepid. I loaded Xine for it and everything but never managed to get the codecs to work. On top of that, Amarok was still using the Kubuntu color scheme and not the human scheme so, it didn't look like a gnome application.

Chemical Imbalance
March 26th, 2009, 01:36 AM
banshee + gtkpod-aac work great for me

jdunn
March 26th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I hope there will be some kind of voting in such case. I find Exaile better than Banshee. There is also plugin for Ipod in Exaile, but I didn't check it.

Thanks Caravan. Exaile is the name of the application I was thinking of that is a GTK port of Amarok. However, I've never tried it and I'm not sure how far along it is in development.

Now, can someone tell me if linking my Ipod to different media software (other than amarok) will corrupt or erase the music? I lost any backups.

Simian Man
March 26th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Amarok will look pretty normal in Gnome with qgtkstyle (assuming it uses QT4)
I use Rhythmbox to put music on my 4th gen nano and it works a charm
Rhythmbox has been updated since Intrepid, so there's no reason for them to switch yet
Banshee and Exiale also are nice GTK apps that work well with iPods, but I like Rhythmbox best