PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] immediate help needed..

rudi009
March 25th, 2009, 02:49 PM
till now my desktop was running on xp pro and suddenly xp has stopped loading..loading screen freezes.now, because i've ubuntu installation cd with me i want to get rid of xp.but here is the problem.....after selecting language after inserting cd of ubuntu..nothing happenes..i've even tried reinstalling xp but that also stops after some time(after loading all the necessary files when it says starting windows it freezes).i've even tried installing ubuntu from usb but same happened what happened with the cd..i'm unable to use my desktop pls help..

chrisinspace
March 25th, 2009, 02:53 PM
If you are having problems loading either OS, it may be a hardware problem. If the installation starts, but won't complete, it could be a bad HDD. You should try some hardware diagnostics and see if they come up with any problems.

rudi009
March 25th, 2009, 03:00 PM
well everything was working fine till yesterday..and hardware dignostics how???i'm a noob.

Z0014ND3l2
March 25th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Its been awhile since I did a Hardware Test myself but if memory still serves me well; you should be able to do a Hardware Test right from the BIOS Startup screen.

houcem
March 25th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I had the same problem as you and it was related to memory modules. check the health of your modules by running a mem test 86+ (http://www.memtest.org/download/2.11/memtest86+-2.11.exe.zip) unpack it to usb key and boot from it if the test fails then you certainly have a memory problem.