PDA

View Full Version : hundredpushups.com

cdwillis
March 25th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I need to start exercising and I came across this site a couple days ago. I figured maybe someone else here would be interested in it.

http://hundredpushups.com

Netsu
March 25th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Doing a hundred reps of any exercise in a row would mainly increase your stamina, not your strength, which in the case of muscles involved in push-ups is pretty useless.

Dr Small
March 25th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I've been doing 20 pushups and about 10 chinups. But, I just started like a week ago.

cdwillis
March 25th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Doing a hundred reps of any exercise in a row would mainly increase your stamina, not your strength, which in the case of muscles involved in push-ups is pretty useless.

I'm not doing this to get stronger just as one of several things to become healthier. :)

s.fox
March 25th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Pushups are great for stamina. If you want to build up your muscles then weight lifting may be more suited.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Eating healthy is good for you aswell.

Netsu
March 25th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I'm not doing this to get stronger just as one of several things to become healthier. :)

Remember not to replace jogging with such exercises, it's the cornerstone of any get-healthy/fit program :)

chucky chuckaluck
March 25th, 2009, 02:17 PM

it would increase strength (to a limit) and would increase strength-endurance. doing them fast would add a little bit of speed strength. also, the plank position in the pushup would be beneficial to any muscles used in support of that position. the danger of doing one exercise like that, though, over a long period of time, is in creating a muscle imbalance. people who do too much bench pressing can end up with rotator cuff impingement syndrome if they don't balance it out with a pull movement.

to the op: if you mix in some kind of pull movement (chin ups, some kind of rowing, etc), you would balance out the pushups. if you throw in hill sprints, too, you'll pretty much be hitting everything.

CrazyArcher
March 25th, 2009, 02:29 PM
It's funny that I've just decided to reach this very goal. I did 75 once, now I can probably do 50-60. I guess that if I excercise daily and increase it by one every time, I'll get to the target in a month or two. :)

majabl
March 25th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I need to start exercising and I came across this site a couple days ago. I figured maybe someone else here would be interested in it.

http://hundredpushups.com

Been doing it for a couple of weeks now and seem to have plateaued after the third endurance test! Hoping it's just a blip and that I will be able to get to 100 in one go.

stopie
March 25th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Good Diet and exercise is the best way (we've all heard it just about everywhere we go these days).

Just remember to mix in anerobic with aerobic activity. If you do only weightlifting, with now cario (like running/jogging/long walking), you can raise your blood pressure and such. You need both to become healthier :)

Thelasko
March 25th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Been doing it for a couple of weeks now and seem to have plateaued after the third endurance test! Hoping it's just a blip and that I will be able to get to 100 in one go.

I tried it a while back, and the same thing happened to me. After the 3rd or 4th week, it just becomes too aggressive and my body can't keep up. I think there is something wrong with the plan.

I also recommend keeping close track of the rest period between sets. It changes!

majabl
March 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I tried it a while back, and the same thing happened to me. After the 3rd or 4th week, it just becomes too aggressive and my body can't keep up. I think there is something wrong with the plan.

I also recommend keeping close track of the rest period between sets. It changes!

Yes, it's the aggression that wipes me out. In the exhaustion tests I did I was in the top set for each, so have ended up doing the following (actuals/minimum):

Week 1 48/45, 54/50, and 64/57
Week 2 68/63, 76/71, and 85/81
Week 3 92/80, 101/100, and 124/120
Week 4 120/120, 140/140, and then failed to get to 160

I then went back to week 3 and found that harder than I did first time round, so my body's getting this week off and then I'll try dipping back into week 3 on Monday.

The most I've managed in one go was 36 :-S

az
March 26th, 2009, 06:30 PM

So what's wrong with stamina/endurance?

I build some walls in my basement last year. It took me five days. Putting up the studs and the wallboard require a lot of upper arm endurance. Lots of strength would not have helped me get the job done in the short time I had.

There is much more to health than just muscle strength. Besides, building up muscle bulk is a lot easier to do if you have lots of endurance. More endurance = more efficient blood flow and metabolism.

Being able to do 100 pushups seems to me to be more useful in the real world than being able to bench-press a car.

Netsu
March 26th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I haven't thought of that, I guess it's because in my daily life I rather carry some heavy stuff to and from the basement rather than build walls ;)
But then in the case of the lower body (legs and abs) endurance is much more useful for me.
[edit] Oh, and when it comes to more efficient blood flow, I guess it's not relevant to what muscles you train. You can just jog and your overall fitness will benefit, but I could be wrong here.

BGFG
March 26th, 2009, 07:29 PM

Triceps, pectorals, forearms, intercostals, useless ? how so ?

anyways, I can get up to 80 on a good day and 30 pull ups, doing some swimming for aerobics.

Thelasko
March 26th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I rather carry some heavy stuff to and from the basement rather than build walls ;)
But then in the case of the lower body (legs and abs) endurance is much more useful for me.

I think strength would be more beneficial to moving heavy stuff to and from the basement than endurance. Granted, it depends on what you consider endurance.

For me, I consider endurance anything over two miles (3.2km), a trip to the basement is much less than that.

P.S. Lift with your legs!

chucky chuckaluck
March 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Being able to do 100 pushups seems to me to be more useful in the real world than being able to bench-press a car.

what if you were at the beach and a big, fat guy fell on you? moreover, as the two exercises use essentially the same muscles, if you could bench a car, you could probably knock out a 100 pushups (unless you weigh more than a car).

Erik Trybom
March 26th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Training only one part of your body will likely cause imbalance in your muscles. Pushups do exercise several muscles, but mostly in the front of your body. In particular, I suspect a plan like this would cause your shoulders to be pulled forward, giving you a crooked back.

I would recommend setting up several goals for different exercises. Pushups, situps, chins/pullups, kneebends on one leg etc (that one is difficult!). Add some aerobic goals as well, like running or swimming a certain distance in a certain time.

aktiwers
March 26th, 2009, 10:12 PM
http://memeparty.com/i/2eb21cac1ae7747de2263e8901b45ef5.jpg

CJ Master
March 27th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Akti, thanks for that pic! I'm cracking up!! That was great =D