PDA

View Full Version : Strange new spam

squaregoldfish
March 25th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Lazyweb mode engaged!

Hi all,

In the last couple of days I've started receiving a new type of spam message (my spam filter isn't picking them up yet). All they contain is a news headline in the subject, and another, completely different headline in the body. That's it - no links, no attached images, nothing.

For the life of me, I can't figure out the purpose of these messages. Is anyone else getting them, and does anyone know what their aim is, since they have no payload?

I haven't yet tried tracking down the source address of the emails. I'll be giving that a go soon.

Cheers,
Steve.

billgoldberg
March 25th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Some testing out his new botnet?

lol

Maybe someone (you don't mention what email service you use) is filtering out the links or something?

3rdalbum
March 25th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I used to get spam that had no visible purpose; I have no idea what it's all about.

Are these headlines about shares? Some spammers try to spread news about a particular stock that they have invested in, to try and raise or lower the price of those shares.

3rdalbum
March 25th, 2009, 12:14 PM
(sorry)

JackieChan
March 25th, 2009, 12:24 PM
lol

squaregoldfish
March 26th, 2009, 12:01 PM
The headlines have nothing to do with shares - they're completely random.

Example:

Subject: Ancient Statue Discovered In Greece

That's it. The entire contents of the email. There's nothing untoward in the headers, and nothing else in the email (I use Google Mail, and it doesn't remove links automatically).

The From addresses of the emails are random too - fairly standard spam behaviour, of course.

Steve.

suitedaces
March 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Two news stories for the price of one! :p

squaregoldfish
March 26th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I suppose I should be grateful really. :)

p_quarles
March 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM
The e-mails containing disaster news have often been associated with the spread of botnets. It's very likely that these messages contained malicious attachments which were scanned and removed by some intermediary machine.

almigi
March 26th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I remember 7 years ago or so when I was less computer savvy, I received an email with a subject like "NASA Discovers New Planet" or something to that effect.

If memory serves correctly, this email was sent to my Yahoo account, and I was using Internet Explorer. I opened the email, and if I remember correctly, clicked on what looked like a link to a news story. Big mistake. Internet Explorer kept opening up again and again, and within a couple of seconds, I had 30+ instances of Internet Explorer running on my computer.

I think I had to reboot my computer just to regain control.

Of course, that was back then, something like this wouldn't happen to me today (at least I hope not :lolflag:).

sydbat
March 26th, 2009, 04:13 PM
The e-mails containing disaster news have often been associated with the spread of botnets. It's very likely that these messages contained malicious attachments which were scanned and removed by some intermediary machine.I think this is the right answer.