PDA

View Full Version : Webkit Browser For Gnome?

myusername
March 25th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I am currently looking for a good, stable webkit based web browser for gnome (perferably with an adblocker but not a necessity). Im using Arora right now and its pretty good but im looking for a better one. (Don't turn this into a flame war about how i should use firefox/opera/some crazy web browser nobody has heard of in wine)

ghindo
March 25th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I know that Epiphany is working towards a WebKit backend, but I'm not sure if it's stable yet.

SpriteSODA
March 25th, 2009, 09:49 AM
hmm, Opera10 is not webkit, but it does pass the Acid3 test 100/100 plus is a very modern browser with tons of features, and by benchmark it has double the speed of my firefox.

mcduck
March 25th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Epiphany-webkit is in the repositories, although I wouldn't call it very stable.. (at least not the version available for 8.10)

Closed_Port
March 25th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Give midori a try. It's really getting quite good lately:
https://launchpad.net/~webkit-team/+archive/ppa

As it can use userscripts, you also might be able to get some adblocking working, though I haven't really tried it.

Naiki Muliaina
March 25th, 2009, 10:29 AM
+1 Midori, love it :)

ghindo
March 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Midori isn't exactly "stable" at the moment, especially the version(s) in the Ubuntu repositories.

Closed_Port
March 25th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Midori isn't exactly "stable" at the moment, especially the version(s) in the Ubuntu repositories.

Well, use the one from the ppa I linked to. It's very stable for me.

artir
March 25th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Epiphany is the way to go. Try it in Jaunty, is quite stable.

chucky chuckaluck
March 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM

and in order to retain cookies between sessions, it needs to be compiled with libSoup 2.25.2 or newer, is my understanding.

gnomeuser
March 25th, 2009, 07:38 PM
The first webkit only release of epiphany will be 2.27.x from then on, where we are going we don't need no geckos.

luc0zade
April 15th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I realise this may be so obvious that I should have worked out the answer myself, but is it possible to install a 2.27.x package for epiphany-webkit in older releases, e.g. Hardy and Intrepid ?

The webkit-team PPA linked in a previous post currently includes epiphany-webkit-2.27.1-1 for Jaunty, but with Intrepid, getting epiphany from the Ubuntu universe repository using Synaptic only installs 2.24.1-0ubuntu1.

I appreciate nightly builds can be compilied from source but is the more up-to-date package only available for Jaunty ?

gnomeuser
April 15th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I realise this may be so obvious that I should have worked out the answer myself, but is it possible to install a 2.27.x package for epiphany-webkit in older releases, e.g. Hardy and Intrepid ?

The webkit-team PPA linked in a previous post currently includes epiphany-webkit-2.27.1-1 for Jaunty, but with Intrepid, getting epiphany from the Ubuntu universe repository using Synaptic only installs 2.24.1-0ubuntu1.

I appreciate nightly builds can be compilied from source but is the more up-to-date package only available for Jaunty ?

It depends, if epiphany 2.27.x depends on new functionality in gtk or glib e.g. then you would have to backport these in the PPA. Doing this is not simple and it greatly harms QA for the stable release. If it does not, then chances are good that a PPA build could work very well.