PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading from unsupported version - question

jrz
March 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM
1. I have one computer still running ubuntu 7.04, which I have been unable to upgrade due to an unresolved bug. When I was told the bug would no longer be looked into as 7.04 was no longer supported, I tried to upgrade to 7.10, but found that could not be achieved either. As I'm unable to back up files from this system I would like to perform an upgrade using the safest means possible. The computer also has WinXP installed which works fine, but under ubuntu 7.04 the CD drive does not work and the USB ports are unreliable and corrupt or erase the contents of the external device (HDD or memory stick) when copying files to them. Therefore I would feel safest if I could upgrade via the internet, sequentially, from 7.04 to 7.10, and then to 8.04 and/or 8.10 if at all possible.

If someone has knowledge of how I can safely accomplish an upgrade without the ability to backup my home partition, please provide instructions.

2. A suggestion. It would be nice if there was a repository that would retain everything necessary to perform upgrades from all versions no longer supported, that would allow older systems to be upgraded via the Internet. I have found several that claim to have files for no longer supported versions, but they all seem to be lacking something necessary to proceed with a version upgrade.

Thanks

deeinmetrodc
March 25th, 2009, 09:22 AM
yes, actually, burn a new copy of ubuntu 8.10 and after you successfully burn the copy, restart your current system, insert the 8.10 cd/dvd and it will ask you if you wish to perform an upgrade.. say yes and follow along... in fact it gives you the option of using files in the repositories also....

netJackDaw
March 25th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Check out this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes . Seems like it fits your problem pretty well. Haven't tried it myself...

jrz
March 25th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the responses, but as I noted the CD drive doesn't work in ubuntu, but does in WinXP, so upgrading from a CD is not an option unless I can find a way to make the drive work under ubuntu.

I have tried to follow the UpgradeNotes in the Community Documentation, and the following gives me reason to proceed with caution, as I am unable to back up any data.

"Skipping versions is not advised as it may cause damage to your system. If you are using an earlier version, and want to 'skip' a version, the safest way is to backup your data and do a fresh installation, or to progressively upgrade to each successive version."