PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Make program run at specified time(s)?

bennis
March 25th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Hey, i'm trying to set up OpenDNS for my network, however i have a dynamic IP. They offer update software for windows and mac, but I don't want to leave my windows box on all the time, and would like to have my linux server deal with it. I found a program called ddclient, and it runs on linux. I want it to run at 12 am 1 am and 2 am, but i don't know how. Any suggestions?

Zack McCool
March 25th, 2009, 06:29 AM
man crontab

Cron is the scheduler for linux. Read the man page, along with whatever you can find on the net. Cron is too big for a quick answer.

If you have Gnome installed on the server, you can also use the "Scheduled Tasks" applet in the System | Preferences menu. It is a graphical front-end for cron...

pbpersson
March 25th, 2009, 06:37 AM
If you have Gnome installed on the server, you can also use the "Scheduled Tasks" applet in the System | Preferences menu. It is a graphical front-end for cron...

I found mine under system tools.

That is what I should be using.

I installed some thing called "alarm clock" but I cannot get it to run my shell script. This I am sure will work better. Thanks! :)

BkkBonanza
March 25th, 2009, 09:20 AM
ddclient can run as a daemon and has it's own timer... you don't need to schedule anything as it will periodically check for ip changes and update. I think the default check interval is 600 = 10 minutes. Do you really want your ip only updated every few hours? That would mean any time it changed then your server would be inaccessible for hours.