PDA

View Full Version : How far is Ubuntu from replacing ******* ?

diffuser78
December 31st, 2005, 09:48 AM
Hello everybody,

I wanted to know from you guys that what do you think as Ubuntu being replaced as desktop OS. Lets admit it even though many of us including me use Ubuntu for almost everything we are still keeping ******* as a dual boot. (I know there are few people who have just Ubuntu).

What is hindering Ubuntu to completely replace *******.

Everybody can give their reason. I think this will be a good thread for the developers to keep these things in mind while developing future versions of Ubuntu.

I start off with some of my little problems with Ubuntu which I have spent enough time without success ( most prolly because of my lack of knowledge)
1. Some wireless related issues.
2. Embedded RealPlayer issues
3. Some display driver issues because of my hardware

Except of some of these problems I am very happy and satisfied Ubuntu user.

You guys can contribute to this thread.

Thanks,

mcduck
December 31st, 2005, 10:06 AM
I'd say that Linux has already replaced windows on my computer, as it's running most of the time and I only boot to windows if I really have to. So yes, I do have win installed and that's because of nice audio programs that are availble for it and ASIO support for sound. And 3DS MAX , but I'd happily change to Maya for Linux if I had it ;)

So when there are more good audio programs and support for linux, and I get the money for Maya I can start using my win2K disk as a beer coaster :D

homegrown
December 31st, 2005, 10:41 AM
I think it's going to be while still... I'm personally running Debian on my main desktop & Ubuntu on my personal laptop.

The logic behind this is I use the laptop when I want to play around, surf the web & check e-mails etc. & with Ubuntu it just seems to work! ...which is nice
The Debian box is for me to get up to speed with linux, so it takes bit more of a fiddle, but I'm learning all the time.

At work I have to run windows, but I've installed the VMware Player -- hacked it a little & have a full ubuntu install at hand....secretly trying to move to ubuntu as much as I can as an admin at work...I'll post my experiences as time goes by.

The big corporates are still nervous about moving away & it's not going to happen soon, but the next generation will be learning Linux in schools, so it will come naturally to them.

I'm going home in a few weeks & will be donating my Thinkpad to my little 6 year old nephew - edubuntu loaded ------ it will be a shame to loose the laptop, but I see it as a longterm investment in his future.

zorglub
December 31st, 2005, 10:54 AM
Hello everybody,

I wanted to know from you guys that what do you think as Ubuntu being replaced as desktop OS. Lets admit it even though many of us including me use Ubuntu for almost everything we are still keeping ******* as a dual boot. (I know there are few people who have just Ubuntu).

Well, for my personal everyday's use, I'm running Ubuntu. But unfortunately, some particular applications require W@"#^! ( homebanking, progs developped by the company I'm working for..etc). So, no way out: I'm condemned to have a dual boot on my main system.....

I think that loads of John Doe's will still use M$ until they realize the weakness of their system ( viruses, spywares, corrupted .dll etc...). Maybe then some of them will be tempted to test and maybe use the wonderful alternative which is Linux.

Anyway, I don't think that M$ will be bankrupt in the next future and afterall it's an everybody own choice.....if some people feel comfortable with XPatch, well it's ok...if one day they decide to switch for Linux, they will be very happy users for sure ! ;)

Sirin
December 31st, 2005, 11:27 AM
Close, but far.

* Command LIne
* You are required to "Learn Ubuntu" instead of Using it.
* You can't uninstall anything that has been provided in the tar.gz format. It has to stay there or else you'll have to reinstall
* Very prone to tweaks. I can't tweak a thing without messing up Ubuntu.
* The only way you can access an app is either the "Run Application" prompt, the command line, or the Menu. BIN files will not work as a replacement for EXE.
* No system restore. This pisses me off everytime I mess up with tweaking Ubuntu. :mad:

endersshadow
December 31st, 2005, 11:46 AM
* You can't uninstall anything that has been provided in the tar.gz format. It has to stay there or else you'll have to reinstall

make uninstall

:-D

Also, if you use checkinstall to install from source, then you can just do a dpkg -r on it...

So, as you can see, that's not exactly true...

Command LIne

Vista is adding back CLI to Windows. It's a very powerful and amazing tool. It's a feature, not a speed bump.

You are required to "Learn Ubuntu" instead of Using it.

You're actually required to "Learn Windows," too...that doesn't mean that people do...

Very prone to tweaks. I can't tweak a thing without messing up Ubuntu.

Um, how and what are you tweaking? Linux is modular...it's very tough to mess up the whole shebang with just one text file...

The only way you can access an app is either the "Run Application" prompt, the command line, or the Menu. BIN files will not work as a replacement for EXE.

You can create custom launchers, too, you know. Like a shortcut in Windows...

No system restore. This pisses me off everytime I mess up with tweaking Ubuntu.

Doesn't need to be. It's called CLI. Back up a file before you edit it. Unless you're trying very hard or just randomly changing stuff, you can't break Ubuntu...which is a fairly nice feature...

Deaf_Head
December 31st, 2005, 11:52 AM
Customer knowledge.

I'd give it(ubuntu) to some of my friends .. but others have trouble navigating teh xbox gui so I don't bother.

simohell
December 31st, 2005, 02:48 PM
As it has been said many times already in different threads, the obstacle in the way of replacing Windows is getting vendors to pre-install it and to provide such drivers and defaults that work. Nothing much more.

Most people, if they would have Ubuntu they would use it happily. Have you ever heard of anyone with pre-installed linux starting to by an expensive non-OEM windows and trying to install it. Especially on a computer that didn't have any Windows driver-CD's.

I think it is just a question of timing. If Ubuntu had been there first nobody would be saying that Windows is better than Ubuntu is now at 5.10.

Therefor we are not competing to make a better OS but fighting to bring down the monopoly backed by billions of dollars. And that won't be as easy as writing a good OS :(

jc87
December 31st, 2005, 04:06 PM
Only when it comes to 3rd parties support , at the rest Ubuntu is already 90% (or more) superior to windows.

We only have to convince OEM´s , hardware producers , and others that they can make lots of $$$ working with us (and if that don't work point a gun on their heads).

When we have let us say 5% to 7% of the Desktop market they will fight to support us , and when it came to 10% nothing shall stop us:D.