PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] SSD harddrive not detected

exziton
March 25th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Hi,

I have a problem with a Sony Vaio AR31E. I got a X25-M Intel SSD for free and would like to use it with this laptop. The problem is that the SSD is not detected in the bios nor by ubuntu. I also tried varies (Knoppix, Ubuntu,...) Live Cds without any success. I think the problem is that the hardrive is not detected by the bios and there is no possibility in the bios to change any hardware settings (RAID, AHCI, IDE, AUTO), so I really don't know what to do. I tried the SSD on my computer at work and it was detected immediately. The harddrive which is curently in the laptop is also a SATA drive and was detected without any problems. I read that Sony has disabled AHCI by default on all VAIO models and that there is no (official) way to change this. May this be the problem or should the SSD also run in IDE mode? I have the following SATA Controler:
SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02). Is there any way to find out in which mode the controller currently is?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Martin