PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with Installation

want2ubu
March 25th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I am new to ubuntu and am having a very difficult time installing Ubuntu. When I boot from a Live-CD, it frezzes. When I was able to get the semi-graphic installation panel, it frezzes during installation (8.10). Is there

1. a place I can install Ubuntu over the internet?
2. a way to install it from an external usb HD easily?

I am trying to install the 64 bit version of Ubuntu on a blank (yes, no other OS and nothing else) internal hard drive. My other computers are all 32 bit.

Thanks for your help in advance.

x33a
March 25th, 2009, 03:48 AM
you can try a live usb, if you think that the problem has something to do with the cd drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNetbootin

you can create a live usb from windows and then use that to install ubuntu.

spcwingo
March 25th, 2009, 08:41 AM
You can boot with the mini CD to install. This only a ~9.5MB iso. It only has enough to boot the system, so if the CD drive is failing this will do minimal CD drive reading because it will pull in everything else to install from the repos. The mini CD iso can be found here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

After the install and reboot you will only have a command line system. Log in (you won't see "*" when typing your password, this is normal) and type one command:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Enter your password when prompted. When that finishes (it might take a while) type:

sudo apt-get clean && sudo reboot

This will clean the apt cache and reboot into your new Ubuntu system. :)

I have used this method on systems where Ubuntu refuses to install because of a failing CD drive.

deeinmetrodc
March 25th, 2009, 08:46 AM
that's a great idea.... how could i do that on a system with a broadcom wifi requiring the non-free drivers that i have d/l'd and stored on a flashdrive?

spcwingo
March 25th, 2009, 09:02 AM
that's a great idea.... how could i do that on a system with a broadcom wifi requiring the non-free drivers that i have d/l'd and stored on a flashdrive?

Ditch the broadcom card for one that is natively supported. :wink:

Roque2
March 25th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Lol too funny