PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Troulble installing on older vaio PCG-F630

pgonzo746
March 25th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I am trying to load Ubuntu 8.10 onto an older Sony Vaio PCG-F630 laptop with a DVD. The laptop uses Windows Me as its operating system; I have put several disc in to make sure the dvd is working properly; and it is.

Installing Ubuntu also requires booting from the DVD but the laptop does not recognise the presence of the DVD and when restarted the laptop boots into Windows Me. I have checked the BIOS and the CD drive is listed before the hard drive in the boot list.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Partyboi2
March 26th, 2009, 06:36 AM
How much ram do you have installed? Also did you burn the ubuntu iso as an iso to disk or as data? Ubuntu needs to be burned as and iso.

pgonzo746
March 29th, 2009, 02:51 PM
The laptops RAM is 256 with a 40 GB hard drive; I did burn it as a data disk; I'll burn another and let you know what happens.

Thanks

Mark Phelps
March 29th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Ubuntu wants 384MB of memory as minimum for install. You can "force" an installation using the Alternate CD with 256MB, but I've tried that on an "older" laptop and the performance, especially the desktop performance, was really awful.

You would do better getting a minimal Linux install. See distrowatch.com for Puppy Linux.

pgonzo746
March 29th, 2009, 10:20 PM
The ISO disk worked perfectly; Thank. Now that the disk works I have a different problem; when installing I get a LOADING HARDWARE DRIVERS [fail]

Anyone have an idea?

pgonzo746
March 29th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Oh by the way; I'm giving Xubuntu 8.10 a try since I didn't meet the Ubuntu 8.10 requirments.

Thanks for pointing that out