PDA

View Full Version : A 2D Classical Animation Program

VisionaryVanGogh
March 25th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Hi everyone, I'm a student studying animation. I have been looking all over the place for a 2D classical animation program that efficient and intuitive. I do not want vector-based software like Flash. When you want to work using more traditional techniques, (like hand drawn inbetween drawings instead of tweening) you have to work against the nature of the program.

I have tried other 2D animation programs like Toon Boom, TVPaint, and a couple of others. I have even tried the open source program Pencil. But they are counter-intuitive programs that put the emphasis on the wrong things. The most important thing to emphasize in an animation program is the timing. This is how animation works:

Animators usually work in 24 frames per second. But they don't usually make one drawing at a time in a linear order. They draw "key" drawings first. Important closely related moments in an action. Like a character getting out of a chair. You draw the character in the sitting position, then you draw the character standing out of the chair. Then you draw the inbetween drawings, showing the way the character gets out of the chair. The more inbetween drawings you use, the slower the character will move. And when using a computer program, it's important to be able to do things like "hold" a drawing, so that it plays for 1/12th of a second, instead of 1/24th. Sometimes you might even want to "hold" an image longer, like 1/8th of a second.

With all of the well-known commercial 2D animation programs I've tried, timing the drawings is an inconvenient process, when it should really be easy. There is one, lesser known animation program that I use, called CTP Pro, which is fairly decent. Scanning in the drawings, then timing them is easy and intuitive. Animating a character to voices is easy because of the ability to see how you drawings are timed with the sound on a chart. And there are a lot of options for moving a background when a character is moving.

Unfortunately, the program lacks when it comes to other features which I think could be very useful, like customizable onion skins when drawing in the program using a tablet.

If anyone knows if there are any open source 2D animation programs in development besides Pencil, kToon, and Synfig, I would really appreciate more information about it, and how I can contact the developers. If you want to ask me any animation-related questions I'd be happy to answer.

-- Visionary Van Gogh

MaxIBoy
March 25th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Try either The Gimp plus the Gimp-GAP (Gimp Animation Package) plugin or Cinepaint (cinepaint.org) (a fork from an older version of The Gimp.) Both are basically The Gimp across multiple frames, with special animation-related features. Cinepaint has support for more vivid colors using variable bit-depth or something, and is used mainly for touching up live-action video. Gimp-GAP is a Gimp plugin. Both of these let you export video files.

I have Gimp-GAP, and it's pretty cool. I haven't tried Cinepaint.

VisionaryVanGogh
March 25th, 2009, 02:08 AM
GIMP is a great alternative to Photoshop, but as an animation program, it's definitely not what I'm working for. When it comes to the animation application, GIMP gets confusing.

FreeMoves
March 18th, 2010, 01:57 AM
TVPaint has a Linux public beta good until September of this year.
Several of my classmates have won film festival awards with films made in TVPaint. I believe you're overgeneralizing by saying that it "emphasizes the wrong things." TVPaint's timing and light table systems are as developed as I could imagine. If you have a specific feature request for them, I encourage you to post on their forums--the developers are responsive.

chriswyatt
March 19th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Have you checked out Pencil?

http://www.pencil-animation.org/

EDIT: Oops, sorry. Should've read the thread first.

ragtag
July 7th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I'll reply anyway.

To be honest, there aren't that many options when it comes to open-source traditional 2D animation software. I think you've covered most in your original post. :) kToon looks interesting, but it seems development on it has died...and I never got it working properly. The timing tools in Pencil are not quite right, though it's developing rapidly and has a lot of potential. Synfig also looks interesting, but it's not the technique you were looking for. Anime Studio Pro, is available for Linux...which is a nice vector and cut-out alternative (commercial). We have a couple of licenses of TVPaint at work (we mostly do 3D work), and the animators using it have really liked it.

If you want to go with commercial solutions, you might want to check out Plastic Animation Paper (http://plasticanimationpaper.dk/). It has a free version, but last time I checked...the features that made it good were in the somewhat expensive pro one. It's made for doing pencil animation with a tablet. It doesn't have great tools for cleanup and coloring, as it's focused mainly on doing the actual animation.

I wish there was something open-source like Blender for 2D animation.