PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sorry but...

johnnyash
March 25th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I've tried ubuntu for the last 6 days and just cant get on with it.:(

I'm having loads of trouble connecting my peripherals, numerous crashes and issues with running certain programs, so I've decided to be lazy and go back to *******.

Now, because I installed ubuntu fully, I lost my Vista partition and (I am assuming) all of the Vista reinstall...I cant find it anyway. So I'm going back to my old XP disc and work from that instead.

Thing is when I try and install XP from my cd, it cannot find any HDD. Ive repartitioned to give it 10gb to work with but nothing.

Can anyone recommend how I go about this, Ubuntu has hidden my HDD!

Many thanks

PS- I know, Linux is safer easier...blah blah blah but I'm a lazy PC owner and want my OS to do everything without me reprogramming it.

Cheers

KCG102282
March 25th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Ubuntu dodont hide it I am guessing its a SATA drive and XP predates them so it cant see it.

Therion
March 25th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Thing is when I try and install XP from my cd, it cannot find any HDD. Ive repartitioned to give it 10gb to work with but nothing.
If your XP CD is pre-SP1, and you're trying to install to a SATA drive on your PC, then I'm afraid you're kind of up the proverbial creek...
Microsoft didn't start including SATA drivers in XP (natively) until Service Pack One.

You can use a program called Slipstream to create a customized XP install disc, however, that includes SP1 (SP3 would be better, but you get the idea).

johnnyash
March 25th, 2009, 12:42 AM
If your XP CD is pre-SP1, and you're trying to install to a SATA drive on your PC, then I'm afraid you're kind of up the proverbial creek...
Microsoft didn't start including SATA drivers in XP (natively) until Service Pack One.

You can use a program called Slipstream to create a customized XP install disc, however, that includes SP1 (SP3 would be better, but you get the idea).

Bugger.

But if I used a copy of Vista, it would install?

KCG102282
March 25th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Bugger.

But if I used a copy of Vista, it would install?
That is correct

MaindotC
March 25th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Or you could just run XP in a virtual machine on top of Ubuntu and thus keep your system more stable and secure. I understand you're new so perhaps this is a stretch for you but if you want a taste, type in youtube "virtualbox ubuntu".