PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partition Strategy for Ubuntu & Fedora

pcaluori
March 24th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I'm new to Ubuntu and really like it and intend to keep it as my primary OS. I've already installed Ubuntu 8 & Fedora 10 multiple times, but not to my satisfaction.

This installation is on an older Pentium 4 computer with 2 hard drives: 60GB (primary, master) and 80GB (primary, slave.)

What is the best partition strategy?

I did an fres install of Fedora 10 and created a 10GB /var partition only to find that updates for OpenOffice fail due to lack of space in /var.

What should I do? Do I even need to make separate /var, /usr & /tmp partitions?

Thanks!!!

louieb
March 25th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Are you sure /var is 10GB in size? I give Ubuntu 10GB for / (root) and have a separate /home. Have 4 machines running Linux / (root) partition has no more that 5 GB used on any of them.
What does the
df -h show?

pcaluori
March 25th, 2009, 03:25 AM
The partitions were setup during the Fedora 10 install, but I did confirm the /var partition was indeed 10GB.

I thought that would be more than enough too, but it would not allow me to upgrade OpenOffice. When I checked, there was 3GB+ of free space in /var, but that was not enough. I don't know where the remaining 6+Gb went, but there were lots of subfolders in /var, before I blew it away.

I can't run the command you suggest as I have already blown away that configuration and reinstalled Unbuntu.

Now I'm waiting for the collective wisdowm on how to proceed.

Thanks!