PDA

View Full Version : Can't run native Linux applications in XP, PLEASE HELP.

stchman
March 24th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I am a recent XP convert from Ubuntu.

I have having the darnedest time trying to get XP to run K3b or gFTP.

I downloaded the .deb installers for each application and XP does not know what to do with it. HELP!!! I then downloaded the source and tried to build it, no dice either.

What kind of cr@ppy OS is this XP that cannot run native Linux apps perfectly?

I guess I am going to switch back to Ubuntu.

Rolcol
March 24th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Windows applications are not natively compatible with Linux and Linux applications are not (directly) natively compatible with Windows. Linux applications must be compiled in a way that Windows can handle it and it's not for novices.

perlluver
March 24th, 2009, 10:58 PM

I downloaded the .deb installers for each application and XP does not know what to do with it. HELP!!! I then downloaded the source and tried to build it, no dice either.

Surely you can't be serious? If you are then, no .debs will not work in Windows.

stchman
March 24th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Windows applications are not natively compatible with Linux and Linux applications are not (directly) natively compatible with Windows. Linux applications must be compiled in a way that Windows can handle it and it's not for novices.

I know this, I am trying to get my point across to the WINE weenies that cr@b when their precious Windows app does not run 100% perfect using WINE.

stchman
March 24th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Surely you can't be serious? If you are then, no .debs will not work in Windows.

Why not?!!!!

New people expect that all Windows .exe files should work 100% in Linux.

kanikilu
March 24th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Are you joking? If so, my humor-barometer seems to be a bit off today ;)

If not, then, wow, this the exact opposite of the typical thread here :P

There are ways to run linux applications, namely cygwin and the KDE on Windows project, but I wasn't able to use either with any reliability/stability.

If you have a linux box you can connect to remotely, you could use a combination of PuTTY and Xming to run applications off the server and have them display on your local XP machine.

// Edit - Nevermind, har har :rolleyes:

perlluver
March 24th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Why not?!!!!

New people expect that all Windows .exe files should work 100% in Linux.

Well yeah I know, but you have like 4800 posts, so I wanted to make sure.

estyles
March 24th, 2009, 11:03 PM
some people have broken sarcasm detectors
:D

Simian Man
March 24th, 2009, 11:04 PM
You guys all seriously fail at picking up on irony. stchman, nice post :). Try posting on a Windows forum ha ha.

linuxisevolution
March 24th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Um, is this a joke?

stchman
March 24th, 2009, 11:06 PM
You guys all seriously fail at picking up on irony. stchman, nice post :). Try posting on a Windows forum ha ha.

I should, but then people on those forums will call me a troll. It would be good for some laughs.

kanikilu
March 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM
You guys all seriously fail at picking up on irony. stchman, nice post :). Try posting on a Windows forum ha ha. Um, no, someone "seriously fails" at trying to make a point. How about starting an intelligent discussion about WINE or application alternatives, or whatever, rather than a useless thread that you have to explain was a joke in the first place? :-s

I should, but then people on those forums will call me a troll. =D>

stchman
March 24th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Um, no, someone "seriously fails" at trying to make a point. How about starting an intelligent discussion about WINE or application alternatives, or whatever, rather than a useless thread that you have to explain was a joke in the first place? :-s

=D>

I have tried that and it goes in one ear and out the other with the newbies.

People should know that it is some minor miracle that Ubuntu can run so many native Windows apps.

My problem also is that people then think Ubuntu is a stable platform to run all their Windows apps. When WINE fails to do this they come on here and claim that Ubuntu is cr@p, blah, blah, blah.

louieb
March 24th, 2009, 11:29 PM
:popcorn:LOL Read the post said hua??? Then I saw the name. Good one from the "Show Me" state. Go Sooners.

bodhi.zazen
March 25th, 2009, 12:07 AM
:lolflag:

And moved to the Cafe.

lisati
March 25th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Some of my home-grown 16-bit MS-DOS software happily recognizes when Windows 98 is running, and can start its 32-bit Windows equivalent before exiting gracefully, but it doesn't recognize when it's being run within XP or Vista. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.
:):)

mvalviar
March 25th, 2009, 12:56 AM
+1 to LOL

cardinals_fan
March 25th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I realize this is satire, but have you tried cygwin? It works well for me... :)

information_entropy
March 25th, 2009, 01:12 AM

I have some IBM 360 programs on binary cards I cannot get to run on Windows or Linux

Obviously, both operating systems (insert insulting descriptive term of the day)

sambita
March 25th, 2009, 01:16 AM
+1 to LOL

:)

stchman
March 25th, 2009, 01:18 AM

I have some IBM 360 programs on binary cards I cannot get to run on Windows or Linux

Obviously, both operating systems (insert insulting descriptive term of the day)

Yes, because neither OS can run your punch cards then they are both $hi++y.

LMAO.

myusername
March 25th, 2009, 01:20 AM
this is possibly the stupidest thread i've ever seen

chris200x9
March 25th, 2009, 01:23 AM
damn XP you are good for NOTHING!

swoll1980
March 25th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I lost the key to my Cadillac, my girlfriend gave me the key to her focus, but the damn thing just won't work for some reason. :confused: Piece of crap car!

Tamlynmac
March 25th, 2009, 04:19 AM
stchman
I know this, I am trying to get my point across to the WINE weenies that cr@b when their precious Windows app does not run 100% perfect using WINE.

"Wine weenines" - I love it.
Is that the appropriate drink for weenines? :lol:

I've never understood the concept that Ubuntu/Linux should run Windows applications. Logic suggests that if one wishes to run Windows apps - One should use Windows. :-k

pwnst*r
March 25th, 2009, 04:23 AM

hilarious. must. stop. sides. splitting.

YoungQuiz
March 25th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Lmao

Giant Speck
March 25th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I lost the key to my Cadillac, my girlfriend gave me the key to her focus, but the damn thing just won't work for some reason. :confused: Piece of crap car!

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/SpecKtacle/043.gif

brokenLockpick
March 25th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Quite amusing.

MaxIBoy
March 25th, 2009, 04:52 AM

I guess I am going to switch back to Ubuntu.Use coLinux?

lisati
March 25th, 2009, 04:56 AM

I think they JCL'ed

lykwydchykyn
March 25th, 2009, 05:03 AM
You will need to install Haiku OS to a thumb drive -- it must be a 2 GB thumb drive, no more and no less -- which will be plugged in BEFORE YOU BOOT. Understand, BEFORE YOU BOOT. But after the monitor is on. If it is a laptop, see the wiki.

Follow this with regular doses of pie and coffee until the problem goes away.

mihai.ile
March 25th, 2009, 09:23 AM
This is a great topic. Putting things this way around actually shows how useful wine is. When you see another thread like this but people complaining about Ubuntu that doesen't work well with xyz.exe just give them a link to this thread. They will fast understand that Ubuntu/Linux IS DIFFERENT from Windows

P.S: just a thought... do you think the Mac forums receive many posts like "xyz.exe crashes on Mac"?

billgoldberg
March 25th, 2009, 10:36 AM

OMFG, thanks for pointing out the obvious Sherlock.

I you don't get the point the OP is trying to make, well ...

JackieChan
March 25th, 2009, 12:23 PM
(laughs)...

Giant Speck
March 25th, 2009, 12:47 PM
OMFG, thanks for pointing out the obvious Sherlock.

I you don't get the point the OP is trying to make, well ...

It appears someone needs to read my new book:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/SpecKtacle/dummies1.png?t=1237981285

The original poster of the thread assumed the character of a user who recently switched from Ubuntu to Windows XP. He/she goes on to complain that he/she cannot install native Ubuntu applications using .deb files and becomes infuriated that Windows XP does not support this type of executable file. He/she finishes by saying they should switch back to Ubuntu.

The comedy of the post is that the situation the original poster describes is the exact opposite of the normal situation, in which Windows XP users switching to Ubuntu complain that Ubuntu does not support the .exe executable file, which would allow them to install native Windows applications on Ubuntu. This frustration commonly forces users to either complain that it is the fault of the operating system that the .exe filetype is not supported and even switch back to Windows XP. This situation can also be applied users of other versions of Windows, including Vista and 2000.

Can't run native Linux applications in XP, PLEASE HELP for DUMMIES is currently on sale at Barnes & Noble, Borders, and is available at Amazon.com

Pogeymanz
March 25th, 2009, 01:58 PM
+1

Cute post.

Just to let you know- My sarcasm detector is not broken.

fissionmailed
March 25th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I always found deleting system32 helped running linux programs on windows.

jmore9
March 25th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Here these are for windows:

CDBurnerXP

BurnOn CD/DVD Free v3.1.3

ALO CD & DVD Burner

nero demo

DVD Blaster

Burn4Free

Express Burn Burning Software

Just google for free cd / dvd burner for windows

jmore9
March 25th, 2009, 02:22 PM
And here are some ftp for windows:

FileZilla, the free FTP solution

SmartFTP

FTP Explorer

Again just google for windows ftp software

Tristam Green
March 25th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Much "lafter" to be had in this thread, between those who think the OP is serious, and those who know he isn't.

Follow this with regular doses of pie and coffee until the problem goes away.

You and your pie...:lolflag:

stchman
March 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
"wine weenines" - i love it.
Is that the appropriate drink for weenines? :lol:

I've never understood the concept that ubuntu/linux should run windows applications. Logic suggests that if one wishes to run windows apps - one should use windows. :-k

amen!!!

stchman
March 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM

The original poster of the thread assumed the character of a user who recently switched from Ubuntu to Windows XP. He/she goes on to complain that he/she cannot install native Ubuntu applications using .deb files and becomes infuriated that Windows XP does not support this type of executable file. He/she finishes by saying they should switch back to Ubuntu.

The comedy of the post is that the situation the original poster describes is the exact opposite of the normal situation, in which Windows XP users switching to Ubuntu complain that Ubuntu does not support the .exe executable file, which would allow them to install native Windows applications on Ubuntu. This frustration commonly forces users to either complain that it is the fault of the operating system that the .exe filetype is not supported and even switch back to Windows XP. This situation can also be applied users of other versions of Windows, including Vista and 2000.

Can't run native Linux applications in XP, PLEASE HELP for DUMMIES is currently on sale at Barnes & Noble, Borders, and is available at Amazon.com

That is absolutely hilarious.

derekr44
March 25th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I got a hearty chuckle from the OP.

Yownanymous
March 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM
To the OP, if you are serious (I'm staying neutral over this), you might like to take a look at the following:
http://portableubuntu.sourceforge.net

SunnyRabbiera
March 25th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Great topic :D

Though I do wish there was a native K3B on windows, it works better then most other freeware disk burners.

stchman
March 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM
To the OP, if you are serious (I'm staying neutral over this), you might like to take a look at the following:

I am not serious, I am just making a point about WINE users.

Twitch6000
March 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Lol this was a nice laugh.

issih
March 25th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I hate to interrupt, but I have a similar problem. I can't seem to fry this egg in my toaster... does anyone have any ideas?

N.B this (http://www.homeandcook.co.uk/repository/product/breakfast/toasters/toast_n_egg/Tefal126_1.jpg) is NOT my toaster

Fenris_rising
March 25th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I'm having trouble with my wax cylinders and the DVD burner on my system!

regards

Fenris (laffed my sides off!)

spupy
March 25th, 2009, 08:47 PM

Heh, is there some website that generates such book covers? :)

Mulenmar
March 25th, 2009, 08:57 PM

Constipated, that's what kind of cr@ppy. :guitar: Sorry, couldn't resist.

koenn
March 25th, 2009, 09:13 PM
yes

lykwydchykyn
March 25th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I hate to interrupt, but I have a similar problem. I can't seem to fry this egg in my toaster... does anyone have any ideas?

N.B this (http://www.homeandcook.co.uk/repository/product/breakfast/toasters/toast_n_egg/Tefal126_1.jpg) is NOT my toaster

Frying isn't usually the problem. Getting the fried egg out of the toaster when it's done is.

Mulenmar
March 25th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Frying isn't usually the problem. Getting the fried egg out of the toaster when it's done is.

Don't forget to unplug it from the faucet first!

scottuss
March 25th, 2009, 09:48 PM
This thread made me chuckle. Especially those people who didn't figure straight away that it was sarcasm! :D

Ace!

davec64
March 25th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Well in all honesty what do you expect from a company that makes you click on the START button when you want to end?

scottuss
March 25th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Well in all honesty what do you expect from a company that makes you click on the START button when you want to end?

The same company that a few years ago didn't have drivers for my dial up modem and asked if I wanted it to go on the Internet and look for them there? :lolflag:

stchman
March 25th, 2009, 11:01 PM

The same people that think up the idea:

Keyboard Missing: Press F1 to Continue.

scottuss
March 25th, 2009, 11:03 PM
The same people that think up the idea:

I saw one of those errors today in Toys R Us!

And actually, its the BIOS that throws that error, not Windows... lol

Ms_Angel_D
March 25th, 2009, 11:19 PM

lmao I always wondered about this one myself

bodhi.zazen
March 26th, 2009, 03:04 AM

Thank you for that link.

I am familiar with colinux as I ran it years ago. At that time it needed admin privileges on windows to run.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it can be run on a portable device without admin privileges.

Colinux is fast and elegant. I can stream music to windows and it mounts the windows C drive in Ubuntu, so file sharing is a snap.

Ubuntu runs quite nicely with 256 Mb RAM.

I prefer this to VBox, VMware, etc. I will probably make my own, lighter guest, but that too is a snap.

Rohan Kapoor
March 26th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Lol at the OP! This was a pretty funny thread!

HermanAB
March 26th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Actually, what the OP joked about is what Cygwin is all about - running Linux programs on Windows and it works pretty good too.

Herman

Rohan Kapoor
March 26th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Actually, what the OP joked about is what Cygwin is all about - running Linux programs on Windows and it works pretty good too.

Herman

Ehh... I guess but I never really liked Cygwin.

BuffaloX
March 26th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I Had the EXACT same problem, and when I asked about it in a Windows forum,
They said I had to use some third rate replacements for Windows instead.

Giant Speck
March 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM

Yes, but I found it easier to do it in Gimp with the correct fonts.

stchman
March 26th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Thank you for that link.

I am familiar with colinux as I ran it years ago. At that time it needed admin privileges on windows to run.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it can be run on a portable device without admin privileges.

Colinux is fast and elegant. I can stream music to windows and it mounts the windows C drive in Ubuntu, so file sharing is a snap.

Ubuntu runs quite nicely with 256 Mb RAM.

I prefer this to VBox, VMware, etc. I will probably make my own, lighter guest, but that too is a snap.

For 32 bit versions of Ubuntu.

I actually find that Ubuntu runs but poorly on 256MB RAM. I think 512MB RAM Ubuntu starts to run nicely.

I run 1GB or better on all my Ubuntu machines.

spupy
March 26th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I saw one of those errors today in Toys R Us!

And actually, its the BIOS that throws that error, not Windows... lol

I see this error at work the whole time, because I accidentally kick the keyboard cable.

The fun starts when you get this error message on your laptop... :twisted:

bodhi.zazen
March 26th, 2009, 06:18 PM
For 32 bit versions of Ubuntu.

I actually find that Ubuntu runs but poorly on 256MB RAM. I think 512MB RAM Ubuntu starts to run nicely.

I run 1GB or better on all my Ubuntu machines.

Indeed, that is why I was surprised at how well CoLilnux did. 256 Mb RAM was just fine.

BuffaloX
March 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM

That was absolutely hilarious. The picture of the book was of course the killer. :biggrin:

Cool music. Thanx.:popcorn: