PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspirion 9

derekr44
March 24th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Some of you might want to hop on over to Dell and look at the Inspirion 9 Netbook with Ubuntu... especially today (mods, feel free to move this to community market if it should go there)

lswartz
March 24th, 2009, 09:54 PM
This info is from here (http://slickdeals.net/) but only good today.

Dell Home has Inspiron Mini 9 Netbook Computer for $199 (or $193 w/ DPA). Shipping is $8. Thanks jpvs

Specs

* Intel Atom Processor N270 (1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/512K cache)
* 512MB DDR2 at 533MHz
* 8GB Solid State Drive
* Glossy 8.9 inch LED display (1024x600)
* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
* Wireless 802.11g Mini Card
* 32WHr Battery (4 cell)
* Ubuntu Linux version 8.04.1
* 1Yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service

If paying with Dell Preferred Account (DPA) you may save an extra 3% (4% at Dell EPP), here is how:

1. During checkout, select Credit Card as method of payment
2. Click "Change Payment Type"
3. Click "Choose" link under Credit/Debit Card (again)
4. Under "Save 3% (4% at EPP) with Dell Preferred Account! (Discount applied at Final Checkout)" click "Click Here to Take Advantage of this Offer" link
5. Click "Choose" under "I already have a Dell Preferred Account" if you have one, or sign up for a new one if you don't
6. Checkout, enjoy your 3% (4% at EPP) savings

init1
March 25th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Good deal, thanks for sharing :D

jespdj
March 25th, 2009, 11:50 AM
$199? Wow, that's cheap! Note that it's also very easy and cheap to upgrade the memory to 2 GB - you just need a 533 MHz or faster SO-DIMM, which probably costs about $20 - $25.

I upgraded my Mini 9 to 2 GB RAM and also replaced the SSD by a 32 GB RunCore SSD (which is much faster than the SSD that Dell puts in it).

kerry_s
March 25th, 2009, 11:59 AM
dang it! i already ordered mine from sams club at $245 :(

JackieChan
March 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Doesn't really have much RAM or much of a harddrive, you're better off just get a laptop for a couple hundred dollars more. This thing seems good for just the bare minimums.

aeiah
March 25th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Doesn't really have much RAM or much of a harddrive, you're better off just get a laptop for a couple hundred dollars more. This thing seems good for just the bare minimums.

only if you enjoy carrying round a laptop all day instead of a netbook.

512mb / 8GB is fine. i dont know how well ubuntu performs on it though. crunchbang would fly.

Orlsend
March 25th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I think adding 90 dollars more and you get a 900HA Eeepc with free shipping. 1GB of Ram, and a super fast 160GB of HD (Also a built in mic and Camera). + license of WinXp and sun Office (The license its great for Virtualbox).

I get 5 hours of Battery life, In the dell site they say the mini only gets 4.

snowpine
March 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I think adding 90 dollars more and you get a 900HA Eeepc with free shipping. 1GB of Ram, and a super fast 160GB of HD (Also a built in mic and Camera). + license of WinXp and sun Office (The license its great for Virtualbox).

I get 5 hours of Battery life, In the dell site they say the mini only gets 4.

I actually traded in my eee 900ha for a Dell mini 9. Compared to the eee, the Dell is cooler and totally silent. Also I find the keyboard is a lot easier to type on, and the build quality is higher. It was an adjustment moving from a 160gb to an 8gb drive, but I am now totally convinced SSD is the better technology for a netbook. Nothing against the 900ha--it served me well--but it was not the right computer for me.

Orlsend
March 25th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I think they Keyboard migth be the only thing worth about the Dell Mini, mine is pretty silent. the only thing I see good SSD it would be for Audio recording. If you have a Nice Mic you can hear the HD moving.

what distro did you tried on yours?