PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disk Recognition Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron on Dell PowerEdge 400SC

alfrz
March 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I have found an unusual problem trying to install ubuntu on a Dell PowerEdge 400SC, I cannot access the hard drives. I've tried to find them using fdisk -l , but I simply don't get anything displayed for my local hard drives, just like if they weren't even connected.

By default the system has installed Windows Server 2003

chrisinspace
March 24th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Do you mean you can't see the hard drives when you've booted into the Live Desktop?

alfrz
March 24th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Exactly... also, when i run the partition editor it doesn't find anything.
Does it has to do with RAID support???
At startup (before it starts the OS) shows:
CERC ATA100/4ch RAID ...
And I don't have any problems starting Windows Server 2003

chrisinspace
March 24th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah, but when you install Win2k3, you normally have to provide a driver for your RAID controller during the installation. I don't have a lot of experience with RAID in Linux because I really only use it for PC's at the moment.

Are your HDD's SATA?

alfrz
March 24th, 2009, 09:30 PM
yes.
Win2k3 was already installed on the computer when it was bought.

chrisinspace
March 25th, 2009, 03:02 PM
This (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1010118) worked for me in 8.04 and 8.10, but I'm trying to put 9.04 on a test box and it doesn't seem to help. Give it a shot.

alfrz
March 26th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Hey! sorry, I want to make a clarification, drives aren't SATA, just ATA.

I've tried the all_generic_ide trick with no success, one of my problems is that I don't have much access to the server due to it's use, but this weekend I need everything set in place to install ubuntu in it with the same settings as they are right now on windows.

I found a "datasheet" of this computer www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/400sc_specs.pdf If it's of any help.

Thanks