PDA

View Full Version : Fingerprint Reader Or Not?

Maheriano
March 24th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I can add it to my Dell laptop that I'm ordering today for an extra $20. I've never used one before and not sure if I trust the security of biometrics at all. I have a 13 character password with a mixture of letters, symbols and numbers that I use regularly and take all precautions I can when it comes to security on my machine. Think I should go ahead and get it? Money's not a factor, I just don't want it on my machine annoying me if I won't use it.

I'll be dual booting Vista with Ubuntu 8.1 and eventually 9.04 when it's released.

Technoviking
March 24th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I have never found them useful and sometimes unreliable (in any OS).

Giant Speck
March 24th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Fingerprint scanners aren't very secure or reliable.

You are better off with a solid password.

fatality_uk
March 24th, 2009, 08:14 PM
They can be very useful, for instance in conjunction with apps like BlueProximity, making ease of use greater.

kamitsukai
March 24th, 2009, 08:26 PM
To be honest for an extra $20.00 it's well worth it but it is more of a gimmick than anything else;) and I think your better off with your 13 character Password (that's insanely safe =] although saying that mines 10...lol)

Dr Small
March 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I'd put more reliable security in your 13 character (non-dictionary word) password, than I would in a fingerprint reader.

smbm
March 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I have a fingerprint reader built into my laptop.

I tried it once but found it to be very unreliable.

I wouldn't trust it with any serious security either.

My advice would be to spend the $20 on some peanut butter m&ms and send them to me in the post :)