PDA

View Full Version : What is the most ingenious *nix cli program

rolandrock
March 24th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Dear All,

I start this thread with the intention of advertising what I think is the greatest cli program in the world of *nix and in the hope of learning about other programs that have passed me by.

THE greatest most ingenious cli program is... screen.

When a friend of mine introduced me to screen a few years ago, i thought 'Eh? So what?' but gradually I found more and more uses for it both at work and play and now it is indispensable.

So, what is screen? Well here is the definition on the GNU website:
'Screen is a full-screen window manager that multiplexes a physical terminal between several processes, typically interactive shells.'

What?? It is quite an esoteric program so perhaps some examples are in order. Say you are at work running a program on a remote machine that will take 14 hours to run. You must ensure that the program continues to run when you shutdown your computer and go home. There are various ways to do this but screen is so elegant. Log into the machine, fire up screen, start the program, detach the screen session - now the screen session is handling the program as though you were logged in and at any point you (or anyone else in the world with access to that account) can log back into the machine and re-attach the screen session.

You can have many screens running on one ssh session on a remote machine so you can easily switch between (or split screen so you can monitor them concurrently) your root session, an SQL session, vim session, whatever... without having lots of windows cluttering your monitor.

If you have an unreliable connection to a remote server that keeps dropping and making a mess of your work, run screen on it. Whenever the connection drops you can reattach the session and continue from where you left off.

In education, you can share your screen session among several pupils who can follow exactly what you are doing from anywhere in the world.

At home, I run vlc (with ncurses interface) on a screen session on my main computer so I can attach it and control it from any computer in the house. Very useful for lazy people who want to start/stop/queue music/videos from the comfort of their armchair.

I also have a downloader program running in another screen that reads a fifo and wgets files for me. I use ssh to dump file names into the fifo from my laptop. This reduces the load on the wireless network, reduces the hits on my eeepc's SSD and means I don't have to worry about having files held on different computers around the house.

There are myriad uses for it. It is sturdy, stable and elegant. In short, it epitomises the whole *nix ethos. I am almost getting a tear in my eye writing this I love it so much.

So then. Beat that. I will be very impressed (and a little bit sad) if someone can come up with anything as beautiful and versatile as GNU screen.

Links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Screen
http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

Rock

Neo_The_User
March 24th, 2009, 07:02 PM
PowerTermŪ InterConnect Linux Edition hands down

http://www.ericom.com/pti4linux.asp for info

XD

rolandrock
March 24th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Nice. Looks like a very versatile emulator. Downside is it costs money for full version. I've always been a fan of PuTTY but I don't think it supports that array of hosts.

Thanks for the contribution.

Dr Small
March 24th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Nothing beats Vim

conundrumx
March 24th, 2009, 07:55 PM
The answer is bash. :)

rolandrock
March 24th, 2009, 08:02 PM
In the old world I could never understand why people used anything other than korn shell and bash is an improvement. A truly great shell.

Vim is definitely a hugely powerful weapon in the *nix arsenal and also supports split-screening like screen (have you ever heard anyone say that they love emacs?). Well spoken for.

Thanks both.

smbm
March 24th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I'm quite partial to NCMPC and more recently NCMPCPP.

If you're after an MPD client you could do worse.

SunnyRabbiera
March 24th, 2009, 08:07 PM
apt-get :D

chris200x9
March 24th, 2009, 08:17 PM
In the old world I could never understand why people used anything other than korn shell and bash is an improvement. A truly great shell.

Vim is definitely a hugely powerful weapon in the *nix arsenal and also supports split-screening like screen (have you ever heard anyone say that they love emacs?). Well spoken for.

Thanks both.

I love emacs!

artir
March 24th, 2009, 08:21 PM
vrms FTW!

Neo_The_User
March 24th, 2009, 08:31 PM
aptitude, itself, is pretty good too. very pretty as a cli program. vlc-nox is good too. nano is nice and simple.

Top Three:

PowerTermŪ InterConnect Linux Edition
make
aptitude

kk0sse54
March 24th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I totally agree about screen, it's a fantastic program

klange
March 24th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Most ingenious CLI program?

Are you people nuts? It's pizza_party (http://www.beigerecords.com/cory/Things_I_Made/PizzaParty), hands down.

sujoy
March 24th, 2009, 08:57 PM
i'd say,

htop
mutt
mplayer

DeadSuperHero
March 25th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I did a 30-day-hiatus of any sort of X session last year during the summer, so here are the cli apps that I really enjoyed.

-Screen. Although not quite for the same reason as the OP. I found screen was excellent for managing multiple tasks on my OWN computer WHILE I was at home. It's fantastic for running multiple CLI apps and switching between each one.

-elinks: I really liked this one, it's a neat little text-based web browser.

-Finch: a CLI version of Pidgin, bascially. It uses libpurple, so if you're a regular Pidgin user, your accounts are already set up.

-irrsi: Great chat client, there are also scripts out there to extend it for things like Twitter.

-cplay: I used this to navigate my music folders and jam to some FLAC files.

-nano: Others will prefer editors like VIM or EMACS, but nano is really dead simple. It's basically just a text editor. Was useful for keeping self-reminders of controls and things.

-cmake: Although I really had no use for it then, the cmake build system is probably the best I've used. Simple, elegant, and very to-the-point. I love it.

MaxIBoy
March 25th, 2009, 01:34 AM
bb

Try it, it's in the repos.

mcduck
March 25th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I've always liked "false".

It does nothing, and fails. And does it both fast and secure.

The person behind this kind of a program must be absolutely genius. :D

(Seriously, apt-get and Imagemagick.)

Dr Small
March 25th, 2009, 01:38 AM
-cplay: I used this to navigate my music folders and jam to some FLAC files.

You ought to check out MOC. I was addicted to cplay until I found MOC ;)

-nano: Others will prefer editors like VIM or EMACS, but nano is really dead simple. It's basically just a text editor. Was useful for keeping self-reminders of controls and things.

That's the problem with nano; it's dead simple. I've got to have something that can copy, paste, navigate around, add things to buffer, jump to line numbers, etc, etc, while programming.

Dougie187
March 25th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Top 3:
man
cd
vim

klange
March 25th, 2009, 02:12 AM
You ought to check out MOC. I was addicted to cplay until I found MOC ;)

That's the problem with nano; it's dead simple. I've got to have something that can copy, paste, navigate around, add things to buffer, jump to line numbers, etc, etc, while programming.

Nano does those things... You haven't used it to its fullest until you've used the marker to copy and paste. (Pico did not have go-to-line, Nano added it, as well search-and-replace and a bunch of other stuff we take for granted in other editors these days).

cardinals_fan
March 25th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Screen is a pretty awesome app. Vim is a superb editor. Ncmpc is a nice music player. Greed is a fun game. Elinks is a good CLI browser. MC is the best file manager. In short, there are many :)

t0p
March 25th, 2009, 02:15 AM
wget FTW - I'm gonna wget -r the whole internet moo-hah-hah!

Also, I find ddate indispensible

:p

sertse
March 25th, 2009, 02:27 AM
screen is great, but it takes some..mastery.

dvtm is more pick up and go, if all you want is multiple apps on one console.

Ofc screen can do more than dvtm though.

Mehall
March 25th, 2009, 02:33 AM
wget FTW - I'm gonna wget -r the whole internet moo-hah-hah!

You have no idea how tempting it is :P

spupy
March 25th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I've always liked "false".

It does nothing, and fails. And does it both fast and secure.

The person behind this kind of a program must be absolutely genius. :D

Oh, haha, look at the man page:

SYNOPSIS
false [ignored command line arguments]

:)

cardinals_fan
March 25th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Doneyet is great too.

Neo_The_User
March 25th, 2009, 04:10 AM
bb

Try it, it's in the repos.

Is this a dangerous command?? because I know how to use dd to remove all corrupted data off my hard drive by settings each block of data to 0.

yabbadabbadont
March 25th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Busybox. The most useful tool for rescuing a borked system.

MaxIBoy
March 25th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Is this a dangerous command?? because I know how to use dd to remove all corrupted data off my hard drive by settings each block of data to 0.Just install it and read the manpage.