PDA

View Full Version : Hello, Im new

FlatBlackIan
March 24th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hello.

I couldnt find anywhere better to make myself a welcome thread, so here is shall be.

My name is Ian, and I made the switch to Ubuntu yesterday afternoon.

I have been planning the switch for a few weeks, and I must say I lurked these forums quite a bit. I am Running Ubuntu 8.10 on my Dell laptop. Ubuntu is the primary OS, but I do have it set up to dual boot windows XP if the need arises.

Im not much of a computer geek, I would say I know just enough to be dangerous, so it is safe to say I will be asking lots of questions in the future. I am actually more of a car geek than anything, so I spend lots of time on car forums.

Feel free to make fun of me, welcome me, or anything else that fits your fancy.

Daisuke_Aramaki
March 24th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Welcome Ian! Hope you have a great time here.

Bachstelze
March 24th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu, Ian! :) Hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

FlatBlackIan
March 24th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Wow, looking through the forums, looks like there are a lot of Anime fans here.

I think I should fit in just fine.

beercz
March 24th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Hello Ian from another Ian :-)

Welcome to the community.

Post any questions (in the right forums) if you need help. There's plenty of willing contributors willing to offer advice, tips, solutions and help.

Bölvağur
March 24th, 2009, 05:57 PM
tell us if you build a computer into your car ^^.
It is something few people are doing and I have an interest in doing eventually some day.

Dr Small
March 24th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Greetings there; Welcome to Ubuntu Forums. Please enjoy your stay. If you are a car geek, you may very well become a computer geek with software and hardware. It takes some time to learn the lingo and what everything does, but it's not impossible to learn! :)

Have a great day,
May you have clear blue skies,
Dr Small

Daisuke_Aramaki
March 24th, 2009, 06:02 PM
May you have clear blue skies,
Dr Small

I need it too! :(

madsquabbles
March 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I'm new here too, so I figured I'd just throw mine in here as well. I installed Ubuntu over the weekend, so far so good. Just wanted to say hi! :D

Giant Speck
March 24th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Welcome to the zoo.

will1911a1
March 24th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay.

kspringer
March 24th, 2009, 06:26 PM
It's a wonderful, wonderful place!

FuturePilot
March 24th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Welcome! I hope you enjoy Ubuntu and your stay here. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there's lots of people here to help. :)

Bart_D
March 24th, 2009, 06:38 PM
welcome

s.fox
March 24th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Hello and welcome.

I hope you enjoy your time here on the forums.

Tews
March 24th, 2009, 07:01 PM
"....Welcome to the Machine.."

JackieChan
March 24th, 2009, 08:15 PM
It was very pleasant reading your introduction. You seemed very reminiscent of myself actually, so I can really relate. I do hope you enjoy being apart of the community, I've certainly enjoyed it. :)

ZarathustraDK
March 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Welcome Ian :p

Funny with the anime-thing, just noticed it too.

FlatBlackIan
March 26th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Thanks for all the warm replies guys/girls.

Im sure I will enjoy myself here, you guys seem to have a pretty good community going. As for the asking a lot of questions, I dont think I will have to.

Every question Ive had Ive been able to easily answer by searching. In automotive forums, searching is often difficult because kids these days dont know how to label threads, which makes searching a pain. Most of the users of this board seem very mature. Some of the car boards are like highschool all over again.

On the subject of carputers, I actually plan to integrage the laptop Im using now into my summer car, whenever it is I upgrade to a new computer.

I am what some of you might call the next generation of Linux user. Im not so versed in writing code, or controling functions via a terminal, but I get by.

I have an endless list of car related acronyms and such stuffed into my brain. Im sure it wont be long before I will be mixxing techy lingo in with my internet/car jargon.

I would also like to take the time to introduce my co-pilot. This is Nismo, the 8 week old kitten who's only purpose in life seems to be to terrorize my wife and I. He has an interesting obsession with anything on my computer screen. He sits on my lap occasionally pouncing on the cursor.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc96/drnenappes/Kittens/P1020478.jpg

FuturePilot
March 26th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Aww cute cat :)

pbpersson
March 26th, 2009, 06:01 AM
OH! What a cute little kitten! :):):)

ninjapirate89
March 26th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I would also like to take the time to introduce my co-pilot. This is Nismo, the 8 week old kitten who's only purpose in life seems to be to terrorize my wife and I. He has an interesting obsession with anything on my computer screen. He sits on my lap occasionally pouncing on the cursor.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc96/drnenappes/Kittens/P1020478.jpg

Terrorize? Looks to me like he's/she's trying to shutdown windows for you.

Edit -> Almost forgot to say welcome to the community.

wolfen69
March 26th, 2009, 06:29 AM
welcome, flatblackian and madsquabbles. enjoy your stay.

FlatBlackIan
March 27th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Terrorize? Looks to me like he's/she's trying to shutdown windows for you.

Funny that you say that. While attempting to run something in XP this afternoon I experience a crash. When I attempted to reboot I got a GRUB error 17. I booted into live version and ran the fix, and rebooted. This time I got a NTLDR file missing code. This was the last straw, the camels back was broken if you will.

After a full reformat, I have rid myself of windows entirely. No more dual boot. I can sleep easier knowing Im not cheating on Linux with the dirty diseased tramp that is Windows.

Now if only I can figure out how to get my wireless card working again I will be set.

If anyone needs me I will be trolling the archives.