PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Keyboard glitches

Flupke
March 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I use a french layout keyboard, and have all kinds of problems since I upgraded to 8.10. The solution if I remember well was to change the keyboard layout from 'Generic/evdev' to 'Generic/Generic 105 keys (intl)' and set the layout in xorg.conf :

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
Option "XkbVariant" "latin9"
EndSection

This worked for some time, but since the last xorg update, my keypad started to produce unicode characters instead of 'minus' (− instead of -) and 'slash' (now it works again and I can't paste the character, go figure...).

So I started tweaking the keyboard settings again, went by all the old bugs then some new ones (keys 5-0 not working at all, X server crashes with some keyboard combinations, etc...), and the solution now seems to be 'Generic/Generic 105 keys (intl)' with 'France (obsolete) Other' layout, combined with the xorg settings above. Well at least it works *now*, maybe it won't on the next reboot.

I wonder how the keyboard code got in such a broken state, does anyone have a solution that could make me forget about it, like I did for the past 10 years ?