PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MS screen shows at restart and system freezes

jakslev
March 24th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Hi everybody,

I have had the weirdest and most disturbing experience on my new Ubuntu 8.10 64-Bit system.

I have it running in dual boot with Vista on hd0,0 and Ubuntu on hd0,1. Initially it was installed and ported from a WUPI installation to another partition..

When I click "restart", the system closes down but stops shy of actually killing and restarting the CPU. However - and this is scary - it shows a strange "steel brushed" Vista desktop, that somewhat resembles what I once had on my computer! It is kind of an etching into the screen and cannot be properly read. It is NOT part of my GDM!

Is this a ghost in the machine?? Where does it come from and does anyone know how to exorcise it? As I said the whole computer has been reformatted since, and the other Vista desktop does not look like this*

I hope any of you nerds can help, otherwise I will have to call father Kiernan :o)

jakslev:D

*: The ghost desktop has a two lined lower status bar and an address field in it as well (exactly as I used to have it in Vista BEFORE I completely reinstalled Vista (twice) and then pulled off a partition (which I formatted) and then used for Ubuntu)!!

jakslev
March 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Just wanted to add a photo I snapped with my cam of the screen.. Not sure how clear it is..

:confused: