PDA

View Full Version : Airplanes and lighters

tirengarfio
March 24th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Hi,

do you think is possible to burn someone with a bottle of whisky and a lighter (from a duty free shop)? Im thinking why the lighters are allowed in planes...

Bye

blueshiftoverwatch
March 24th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I find it odd that they would allow you to carry a lighter when I heard that you can't even carry toe nail clippers.

tirengarfio
March 24th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I found this (http://www.diarioinformacion.com/secciones/noticia.jsp?pRef=2112_5_654485__Cultura-EEUU-levanta-prohibicion-llevar-mecheros-equipaje-mano-aviones)

The headline says something like: "EEUU will let off taking lighters in the hand luggage in the airplanes".

Froodolt
March 24th, 2009, 10:24 AM
All the flights are non-smoking these days... Why would you need a lighter in a plane??...
Maybe its in case you crash in the middle of a jungle, so you can survive by baking lizards or monkey's... 8-)

tirengarfio
March 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Im thinking in terrorist action in the toilet..

overdrank
March 24th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I found this (http://www.diarioinformacion.com/secciones/noticia.jsp?pRef=2112_5_654485__Cultura-EEUU-levanta-prohibicion-llevar-mecheros-equipaje-mano-aviones)

The headline says something like: "EEUU will let off taking lighters in the hand luggage in the airplanes".

That article is almost 2 yrs old as I see it.

lisati
March 24th, 2009, 10:34 AM
The last time I flew anywhere (nearly 3 years ago) it didn't occur to me to worry about lighters. If memory serves I took nicotine gum but came back with a lighter or two. So much for giving up the cancer sticks that trip!

billgoldberg
March 24th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hi,

do you think is possible to burn someone with a bottle of whisky and a lighter (from a duty free shop)? Im thinking why the lighters are allowed in planes...

Bye

Do you think it's possible to hurt someone with your fists?

I'm thinking why people are allowed in planes ...

lavinog
March 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Hi,

Bye

Isn't there a limit on how much liquid you can bring on a plane.
Why does it have to be whiskey? couldn't someone set a seat on fire?

I think the concern is that nail clippers can be used to hold someone hostage, while a lighter may cause burns/discomfort, it wouldn't be a very threatening hijack tool.
As for using it to light a flammable object: there are numerous things that can ignite a fuel. To ban all ignition methods would require all passengers to fly nude. Banning the flammable items is much easier to implement.

I think the other concern would be the passengers that do smoke would need to smoke between flights, otherwise they can be a threat.

If someone pours whiskey on you and lights it on fire, take your clothes off...and punch them for spilling their drink.

Froodolt
March 24th, 2009, 11:03 AM
If someone pours whiskey on you and lights it on fire, take your clothes off...and punch them for spilling their drink.
:biggrin::lol:
What more to say??...=D>

EDIT:
Speaking about booze and burning:
Customers and workers at an Banffshire pub had to be treated for sunstroke after a bar boss accidentally installed powerful ultraviolet lights by mistake, it emerged on Friday. (http://news.stv.tv/scotland/82184-drinkers-hit-by-sunstroke-in-buckie-pub/)

megamania
March 24th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Do you think it's possible to hurt someone with your fists?

I'm thinking why people are allowed in planes ...
By this logic people should be allowed to carry onboard just whatever they want to.

Life is not 0 or 1... there are in-betweens.

billgoldberg
March 24th, 2009, 12:17 PM
By this logic people should be allowed to carry onboard just whatever they want to.

Life is not 0 or 1... there are in-betweens.

I was being sarcastic.

Sure things like guns, knifes, ... should be illegal to carry aboard, but a lighter?

You can use anything as a weapon if you want to.

jimmyhacker
March 24th, 2009, 12:22 PM
really.When i was in travel to Bangkok,i tried to burn my fart in plane and nothing happened.All people laughed and my mom slapped my butt at home.

aeiah
March 24th, 2009, 01:51 PM
most of the restrictions are to keep people calm rather than safe. do you think 90ml of explosive is gonna be significantly safer than 110ml? a lot of the limits are arbitrary. i dont know why they allow lighters. im sure not all do because i got a lot took off me on flights around central and south america. perhaps they dont want smokers to have undue stress and start arguing with people because they think they wont be able to smoke as soon as they get off the plane - they have to buy a lighter first? :p

Johnsie
March 24th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Selling glass bottles in the duty free is pretty stupid. A glass Vodka bottle is dangerous in so many ways, and not just because of the flammable liquid inside it. Glass is very sharp when broken.

Matches and lighters are very easy to hide so I can see why they would have some difficulty finding them. Either way, if someone really wanted to cause a problem on a plane they would find some way of doing it, or they would do an attack some other way that doesn't involve planes. The simple fact is, there doesn't seem to be that many people trying to attack anything (on our soil). If the terrorism threat was as really great as our governments made it sound then they would've found other ways of attacking.

MikeTheC
March 24th, 2009, 03:23 PM
maybe, if they just let everyone be armed on a flight, this just wouldn't be a problem.

Froodolt
March 24th, 2009, 04:20 PM
maybe, if they just let everyone be armed on a flight, this just wouldn't be a problem.

[SARCASM MODE]

Why not give everyone a gun, as a government birth gift (or how you call that in English)??...
It would get many people jobs in gun factories...
Get rid of the police, only cost taxpayers money...

It would sure solve the problem of overpopulation in this world... :lolflag:
[/SARCASM MODE]

Johnsie
March 24th, 2009, 05:35 PM
If people just stayed in their own countries all this stuff wouldn't be happening... Just the occasional school shooting in the US or Germany.

aeiah
March 24th, 2009, 05:48 PM
If people just stayed in their own countries all this stuff wouldn't be happening... Just the occasional school shooting in the US or Germany.

what happens if you havent got your own country? do you live on a raft?

beercz
March 24th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I really don't know why I have just read through this thread! :confused:

equal
March 24th, 2009, 06:18 PM
When they were drafting their list of prohibited items, the Tobacco Lobby fought hard to keep lighters and matches off the list, because when smokers get off the plane, the first thing they want is a cigarrette.

The list was ridiculous anyway. If someone is going to hijack a plane, they'll use whatever they can bring abord to do it. Just having toenail clippers isn't going to make you hijack a plan, and just banning them won't stop terrorism.

But just for the record, how many commercial planes have been hijacked in the US since these measures were put in place? I'll give you a hint: Exactly as many as were hijacked in the same time period before 9/11. Zero.