PDA

View Full Version : A great example of why I use Linux (Amusing)

supadomo
March 24th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I really have to wonder what some people are like in real life. Browsing articles about 4 bit color, I came across this, which was such a stark reminder of the entirely different reality of the Windows world.

Guy1: Hey, I'm having problems on my Dells and HP's. They're each displaying the Windows Login without videos drivers. I tried my XP disk on each of them, and they're all doing the same thing. I'm tech illiterate, can someone help?
Guy2:
You do realize
by Jimmy Greystone - 8/13/08

You do realize that you just admitted on a very public forum to pirating software right?

Not since the beginning has the Windows license allowed you to install more than one copy on a single machine without a separate license. So your saying you used the same disc on 3 different systems is basically announcing to the world that you're a software pirate. And don't think that the web server logs could be subpoenaed from Cnet to get the IP address logged with this post, which could then be tracked back to your ISP, which could then look at their own logs to see who had that particular IP at that particular time.

Next time, consider thinking a little before you speak, especially when it involves admitting to committing a crime.

Now, that all aside, since you're using pirated software, it's against forum rules to help you. It would also make me an accessory after the fact, and can't say as that's something I'm interested in.

The one and only hint I will give, is that there must be some other common link between all of these systems, and when you figure out what it is, you'll be that much closer to solving the problem.

Wow. Sometimes I can't even imagine being paid to use Windows.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=304642&messageID=2833336

billgoldberg
March 24th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Funny stuff.

Sealbhach
March 24th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Next time, consider thinking a little before you speak, especially when it involves admitting to committing a crime.

What a sick way to live. Thank you FOSS.

jespdj
March 24th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Long ago, when I was a student, I worked at the helpdesk for WordPerfect for two months as a summer job. People would call and I had to help them solve their problems with WordPerfect.

We always had to first ask for their license number. It happened many times that people would start reading the number (which could be found on the Help screen in WP): "123456... hey, that's a funny number!". I'd then ask them if they have a legal copy of WP. More often than not people would say something like "I copied it from my neighbour", etc. So they illegally copied the software and then had the nerve to call the WP helpdesk! ](*,)

Many of those people didn't even realize that it is illegal to copy commercial software.

etnlIcarus
March 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Jimmy Greystone sounds like a, "dbag" (to quote an ...interesting individual I encountered on these forums). His scenario, while possible, is extremely unlikely to be followed through. Hell, when poorly cracked versions of Windows attempt to connect to Windows update, all MS do is block them. Anyone thinking of getting litigious on MS' behalf over this would likely lose their job, for knowingly going after a regular user, which could seriously backfire both in PR and possible court decisions regarding fair use.

MaindotC
March 24th, 2009, 01:04 PM
He could have been using an open WAP miles from his residence. Have fun tracking that down Microsoft.