PDA

View Full Version : Bored and Armed with Perl...Kinda

BJ_Covert_Action
March 24th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Howdy All,

So I have been swearing myself to the perl cult over the last few months and am finding myself lacking in good script/program ideas. So far I have a little bit of experience with basic data munging and processing in perl, as well as good practice with filehandles and regular expressions. I am just starting to get globbing under my belt and have even attempted to fiddle with subroutines and references. Finally, I occasionally manage to install per modules correctly using CPAN.

And on that noobish experience base, can anyone recommend any interesting/useful perl utilities/scripts/hacks that could make using ubuntu easier/funner/more colorful? I am not looking for code so much as just ideas on what I can do with my new found favorite language. So, any ideas? Perl experts out there, what kind of perl code do you all use regularly that make your lives easier?

Thanks in advance.

shatterblast
March 24th, 2009, 07:52 AM
You might check out SDL. Here's a link:

http://sdl.perl.org/

It's just something to play with and stay interested in if you want to expand your skills. You could check out test cases and so forth. SDL easily integrates with Ubuntu I think, and if you have something you like, it can potentially work fine in Windows. If you like graphics, SDL also has professional uses for science, engineering, presentations, and maybe even screen savers.

BJ_Covert_Action
March 24th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Sweet, I hadn't stumbled upon that particular site yet. Thanks for the link. Any others? Anyone else?

shatterblast
March 24th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Synaptic has Perl-related items for web page development. Might check out zope-plone3 for site content management or usemod-wiki. Php5 allows for Perl modules if you want to try something sophisticated and server-side. Svk is for version controlling, which could be useful for large-scale group software development.

BJ_Covert_Action
April 10th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Hmmmmm, learning to do some webpage development could be fun....good idea.